Seeing a Dr in Aus - any help please!

albag

Hey there

My husband and I moved to Australia in December and have permanent residency visa's. Can anyone please tell me how seeing a Dr will work, do we need to join Medicare etc.? Im guessing we'll do whatever the Aussies do but just wanted to confirm. Many thanks for your help. Albag.

Guest Guest31881

Go to a medicare office with your passport and register with them. Then visit a doctor of your choice, show medicare card and pay to see the doctor. take the bill to medicare and get your % refund. You can set it up for medicare to be notified Austomatically and refund sent to your bank account.

You don't have to pay in every doctor's surgery as some will charge the Medicare basic rate and 'bulk-bill' so all you do is show your Medicare card. With some doctors it is discretionary whether they will charge you above the basic rate - usually depending upon your income - or lack of it.

In Britain you are usually registered with one practice and that is the only one you go to. In OZ, you can go to as many as you want, depending how much of a hypochondriac you are (like me sometimes.)

I do try and just go to the one practice where I've built up a history but there's also another doctor up the road a bit whom I like seeing too. Some practices are Mon to Fri, others Mon to Sat, still others seven days, 24X7 even.

This is really in the big cities because I think out in the bush/country areas it can be much harder to see a doctor or you have to travel a long way.

They can't access your records which is why it's best to go to the same practice but sometimes it might be inconvenient to go to your regular practice - need a new prescription say and the regular one is closed. But you can always take a record of the appointment details and take it to your regular doctor.