Got my driving licence

desreb

Well, we got PR in November, so this was one of the last chances to convert my UK licence to an NSW licence. If you miss the 3 month window, I believe you have to take a new test in NSW.

The process is very quick - passport, bill and proof of ID needed. They scan your signature and take a photo onsite - there's even an eye test behind each clerk. The whole process takes around 15 mins. A 5 year licence was around $180 (they have 1- and 3- year options).

He checked my UK licence online, and asked me if I had any points - evidently my speed camera ticket 6 months ago on my UK licence had flashed up. I confirmed, and they deducted the 3pts from the 13 on my licence. It'll take 3yrs4months for those to expire - not sure why that's not less than 3 years? Is it a 4 year expiry now? I'm also not sure why people try to keep both licences to avoid tickets - surely both are linked to your NSW licence?

I also panicked when I saw my uk photo card had a 5-year expiry, and expired in 2009. No-one has ever mentioned it, in tens of rentals and GoGet. Either they know the 5-year term is largely just for the photo, or they didn't notice. I put my car licence grant/expiry dates on the boxes in the form (expires 2044), and the clerk didn't comment.

Anyway, another NSW task done.

I'm also not sure why people try to keep both licences to avoid tickets - surely both are linked to your NSW licence.

Probably just people on temporary visas, who are not required to get a NSW licence at all - and therefore can't incur NSW demerit points

Guest The Pom Queen
M2M, they were points I accrued in NSW, not the UK. But I was driving on my UK licence at the time.

Ahh thanks for clarifying, I thought it was unusual.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Desreb,

Thank you for the info on your experience, i am looking at converting my UK licence toNSW licence, but currently only have my paper 'countepart' as have lost my photocard. As you mentioined that they checked your licence details online i was just hoping to check whether you had to present your UK photo licence as well?

thanks for any advice from your experience!

Well, we got PR in November, so this was one of the last chances to convert my UK licence to an NSW licence. If you miss the 3 month window, I believe you have to take a new test in NSW.

The process is very quick - passport, bill and proof of ID needed. They scan your signature and take a photo onsite - there's even an eye test behind each clerk. The whole process takes around 15 mins. A 5 year licence was around $180 (they have 1- and 3- year options).

He checked my UK licence online, and asked me if I had any points - evidently my speed camera ticket 6 months ago on my UK licence had flashed up. I confirmed, and they deducted the 3pts from the 13 on my licence. It'll take 3yrs4months for those to expire - not sure why that's not less than 3 years? Is it a 4 year expiry now? I'm also not sure why people try to keep both licences to avoid tickets - surely both are linked to your NSW licence?

I also panicked when I saw my uk photo card had a 5-year expiry, and expired in 2009. No-one has ever mentioned it, in tens of rentals and GoGet. Either they know the 5-year term is largely just for the photo, or they didn't notice. I put my car licence grant/expiry dates on the boxes in the form (expires 2044), and the clerk didn't comment.

Anyway, another NSW task done.

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I did have to present my photo licence (well; I just did so anyway). I guess they're aware of the old UK paper licences before photo versions were introduced, so perhaps you could try with that, and say you never had one?

I actually didn't present my paper counterpart (I lost it), and I hadn't realised that fact until I read your post.

My point is that they're not all completely rigorous on licences - they didn't notice my photocard had expired; maybe they won't realise you're supposed to have a photocard.

D

Archived