A few Q's about Point Cook

Inthedeep

Hi all,

I know alot of Poms have moved to Point Cook so hoping for a few kind folk to answer some of my q's :)

After weighing up many options and avenues, my Partner and I are probably going to build in Point Cook. We are living in Port Melbourne at the minute but we could only ever afford to rent here and after ongoing horrible experiences with one of our neighbours we have decided that it's best to move on and finally find a house we can be secure in (yes .. i know buying doesnt = good neighbours, however i feel more confident to tackle issues with neighbours when i don't have a landlord to appease).

So we are looking at the Kingsford estate as they have the Telstra Velocity network there and seeing as there seems to be so much drama around internet in Point Cook it is a big relief to know that only the Kingsford estate will be able to connect to it - and since there are only a handful of homes there at present im guessing it wont be a problem in connection. If there is anybody else in Kingsford that can comment on the inter there (or Saltwater Coast too - as they have the same network) that would be great.

Also .. has anybody put a pool in in Point Cook (any estate) and would you recomment or say it has been worth it? We are looking at single storey house with hopefully a bit of space on the land to the side of the house for a pool. We have both agreed that by moving back West and being further out from the city that we will want a few luxuries to enjoy the liufestyle out that way and a pool will be numero uno on the list. We are concerned about quite a lot of the plots having easements on them (sometimes 3 metres long for the whole of the back of the plot .. has anyone had permission to build over an easement in Point Cook (i am assuming it will be sewerage mains so it'll be the water board?)

A few more Q's .. I know there are 'beaches' around the area .. now i aint expecting the golden sands of .. erm .. well Torquay. But really, what are the 'beaches' about this area like? Or when will the Werribee Marina beach be developed? Can you walk your dogs there? I used to take th dogs to Altona beach and whilst not the best place, was fine for that purpose .. i am so not a beachy person so aint looking to drop a towel and sunbathe (hence wanting a pool in the privacy of my own place)/

What are the pubs like about Point Cook? Will probabaly still head to the city for the odd 'night out' but it would be good to know what the alternatives are for a few drinks and maybe a bite to eat.

I believe there is a bowling alley coming at the end of 2012 to Point Cook which is fab. I have heard / seen mentions of a cinema and someone said that it would be part of stage 3 of the town centre development? No idea if this is bull**** however .. do any residents know of this?

Hmmm i'm sure there's loads more but my head is absolutely loaded from seeing a million house designs, plot locations recently. I am glad we have whittled it down to an actual suburb and estate as a few weeks ago we didn't evenm have a clue where we wanted to be.

Hi,

I cant help you with building over easements, sorry.

Look, the beaches are ok, but remember its not that far to Torquay, Oceans Grove etc where the beaches are great.

They are starting to build at Werribee South now, so I think will still be a way off (maybe a couple of years) before the marina complete and the new beach.

Yes, the Bowling/Laser is a DEFINATE ... They are already building. Should be Nov/Dec this year.

Pubs, the blight of many in Point Cook. They just do not exist. There are pokies, which are not good, and Gypsy Road, which is like a tapas/wine bar. There is a new wine bar being built at entrance to Sanctuary Lakes but no plans for proper pubs yet. A lot of people either travel to Altona to Mosaic, or to Williamstown, or just to the city.

There is a lot of development in Point cook and it is a good/affordable suburb, but remember the traffic is a nightmare in the morning to the city.

(there are always some down sides).

My friends have pools in Point Cook and they use them all the time.

Good luck with move.

I must say I find Point Cook a soulless place but there are loads of people on here that love it there. they all seem to know everyone else, although we have friends that moved there and have met nobody, not even their neighbours (and believe me they are the friendliest people on earth). However they do have the most enormous house, something they could not afford in a better suburb. I always feel you are better off living in a crap house in a lovely area rather than the other way around but Point Cook would definitely afford you the opportunity for a pool, and you would need it cos there is bugger all else to do around there. I live in Torquay, and the beaches of Point Cook are not even worthy of the name.

Blobby I read one of your posts way back when you were hating the whole city and were wanting to move out to surf and have a beach lifestyle which is great. BUT, everyone is different. For us, the house is important. I couldn't live in an area with lots of vibe but in a 1 bed or 2 bed studio. We drove across to Point Cook and it was a big relief...up until then we had only seen the happening parts of the city which in my opinion were a little scruffy (although I still love it). Every time we went to the shopping centre iIn Point Cook t was bustling in a very nice kind of way, the cafe at Alamanda was busy and friendly. The areas around the resorts are lovely...tennis courts, parklands, play areas, cricket pitches, outdoor gym, BBQ areas. I just love the area. We both do and can't wait to settle there and meet people. If we want a little piece of city life we will hop in the car to the train station and be in the city within half an hour... Problem solved :) No offence Blobby and i'm very glad you now like where you are, but if souless is nice big houses and all of the above...then bring it on he he he ;) x

Thanks all for the replies so far :)

Was definitely of the mindset that smaller house in a nicer area near to the cbd would be for us but reality is its just too small and uncomfortable .. No air con, garden, smaller rooms .. Have had a total change of heart after a year. I can sacrifice some aspects of a social life for 365 days of comfort in a big house :)

Its pretty sad that you have friends there that know nobody ( my fear too ) but the same has happened in both suburbs I've lived in Melbourne (seaholme / port Melbourne) so it wouldn't be a shock. Perhaps we would make more of an effort as this would be a longer term move than the rentals we have lived in thus far. I know it's a very family suburb so for us as a (gay) couple moving there I am pretty anxious .. But we'll see.

Hello Baxters :) Indeed, i can't wait to have some space to store things and not have to feel all cramped in .. plus i cant wait for my dogs to be able to run more than a few metres than the small back yard they have now. Yes would be lovely to meet up, we are hoping to be there by April all going well. Nope it wasn't us looking at rentals (we are hoping to buy) .. but that's cool, like you say not that it matters but it's ncie to have a bit of a diverse community ;)

Hello In the deep, will be interested to hear how you find being a gay couple and living in Point Cook, I hope it goes well for you, I wonder how you find Australia in general? I worry that it seems quite a homophobic place (Australia not specifically Point Cook) where I work they use very (thankfully) outdated and (in UK terms) tabboo words to describe anyone not straight and still seem of the opinion that anything different from them is wrong. Having said this in Torquay its much more diverse, although almost entirely white you will see a massive variety of people all seemingly entirely accepted and I hope you find it the same in Point Cook, good luck

Hello In the deep, will be interested to hear how you find being a gay couple and living in Point Cook, I hope it goes well for you, I wonder how you find Australia in general? I worry that it seems quite a homophobic place (Australia not specifically Point Cook) where I work they use very (thankfully) outdated and (in UK terms) tabboo words to describe anyone not straight and still seem of the opinion that anything different from them is wrong. Having said this in Torquay its much more diverse, although almost entirely white you will see a massive variety of people all seemingly entirely accepted and I hope you find it the same in Point Cook, good luck
I'm a bit confused by your post.On one hand you say there is a massive variety of people and on the other they are almost entirely white.Which is it?

Yeah Kipper, a massive variety of people, although in terms of ethnicity Torquay is largely made up of white people. People can of course be different (massively different) but the same race cannot they? For example there are lots of retired people, lots of kids, working age people commuting to the city, gay people, straight people, sporty people, 60 year old women covered in tattoos, fat people, thin people, professional people, teenage people........where I lived in Greensborough they people were all the same: Bogan people!!!! Haha....Im just saying in Torquay its very accepting, lots of different people live all together and all seem to get along, its a great place.....just strange that it is, as I said, almost exclusively white.

Hi,

We moved to Point Cook in January from the UK and are really loving it. The town centre is small but has everything we need and if they havent got it then we get in the car for a 15min drive to Werribee.

We would like to buy a plot of land some time and build our own house but we are renting at the moment.

Hope you choose Point Cook its great.

Keep us updated.

Oh and just my own point of view, we drove down to Torquay on Saturday. Lovely place but far too busy for me to live there, great for a holiday and a day trip infact we are camping there on Labor Weekend. Give me Point Cook anytime to live.

Caroline

Glad you like Point Cook Caroline. It would be worth you heading back to Torquay on a week day or later in the year. From our experience (and we have only been there 4 months, but visited a lot last year) its gets very very busy from Christmas to Auustralia Day and for the rest of the summer it is busy at weekends but even now during to week it is lovely and quiet and soon the weekends will be quiet too.

I do find in my long drive back from Epping to Torquay the junctions heading off to Point Cook are always rammed with traffic and the freeway is gridlocked at these points heading towards the city.

Dont you feel you would like to be living by the beach? Im just curious what makes people like Point Cook, people get very sensitive on here, so just to clarify, Im not being argumentative, just interested to know what you like about the area

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Point Cook was an area shown on Wanted Down Under and the houses and area looked fantastic, it was our number one area of choice we were looking at when we were looking at Melbourne, really modern new fabulous houses on new estates, which is just what we like, its not everyones cup of tea, but we are all different.

Hi Blobby1000

I think the houses being cheaper is one main reason we moved here and it is easy to get to the city or down to the Great Ocean Road. Yes we need to get to Altona for the train but its not that far. It would be nice to live closer to the beach but when I have been living in the UK at least 2hour drive to the coast then 15 minutes is nothing.

It is a shame there isnt a cinema and more for our children to do but hopefully that will change very soon.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with being curious/interested. The world would be very boring if we all liked the same thing and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Archived