can he work for the government????

kellyjamie

Hi all, can someone please help?? When we move to oz my husband was hoping to get work with the local council due to the nature of his job just now in the uk, but we have read that you must have citizenship and as you need to be resident fo r2 years it would rule that option out!! we originally thought it was citizenship or perm residency??? also does sponsorship provide perm residency?? ive read that much my brains fried any answer much appreciated thanx xx:wacko:

Guest the terry's

Hi Kellyjamie, yes I think you'll find that you have to be a citizen to get gov. jobs and that it's now four years before you can get citizenship not two. It also depends on what sort of sponsorship you are talking about, there's spnsorship from employers and theres gov. sponsorship. We are going across on an S T N I state/territory nominated independant, the gov. of Victoria are spnsoring us to come over as we did not have enough points initially, and it also meant that we did not have to do the english test to get more points. The number is 176, a permanent visa and we have to stay in Victoria for two years.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Helen aka the terry's.

I suppose at the end of the day it all depends on what your Oh does at the council.

Kev works for them as a town planner, they got us out here on a temp visa but we could have come in on a perm. however after being here nearly 7 weeks our permenanet one has come through (we applied for thisbefore having the job) So tuesday morning we fly out to singapore to hopefully get the permanent one.

If you want pm me and we'll try and help some more

Hi kevin n dawn, thanks for replying. I spoke to a migration agent who also confirmed the OH can work for local government, he said it was federal government you had to be a citizen. my husband currently works with anti social behaviour/housing so im sure he,ll find something that ties in, were going across on a skilled ind. as i,ll be a qualified nurse but we wanted to check the council thing so we had an idea of employment for my husband and also wages etc for mortgages! theres so much planning my brains fried, we just want to make sure when we move it will be for a better life than we have here, were looking at perth again because of jobs ,you like bunbury? x

• 2 weeks later...

I work for the government & we have temporary residents working with us, so yes he should be allowed to work for the government, the only catch is that unless you are a permanent resident / citizen he will only be able to apply for temporary positons, but they usually have a tendancy to keep extending their contracts.

Archived