Pre-Primary/Early Years teacher

RoxyRoo

Hi there,

I know that I cant work in Australia as a teacher because I gained my teacher status via the GTP route and not PGCE but I am a Reception teacher in the UK which is an Early Years teacher and wondered if anyone out there knew whether or not I can teach Early Years/Pre-primary?

I can pay to get my Early Years qualifications assessed but just wondered if anyone has gone through the same thing.

Cheers,

Roxyroo xx

Guest will4298

The missus is currently doing her PGCE and I'm interested if her qualifications would suffice.

I'm currently studying my social work degree and we're not sure who should be the primary applicant!

Sorry i can't help; I'm new to the whole Australia visa thing!

Hi there,

I know that I cant work in Australia as a teacher because I gained my teacher status via the GTP route and not PGCE but I am a Reception teacher in the UK which is an Early Years teacher and wondered if anyone out there knew whether or not I can teach Early Years/Pre-primary?

I can pay to get my Early Years qualifications assessed but just wondered if anyone has gone through the same thing.

I'm afraid you won't be able to work, or be positively assessed, for Early Years in Oz as it requires the same qualifications over there as Primary and Secondary school teachers - it must be a 4 year degree or a 3 (or more) year degree plus a 1 year full time ITT. If you have the GTP there isn't any point unfortunately in paying to get your skills assessed as it will be a negative assessment from the AITSL for Early Years teacher.

The missus is currently doing her PGCE and I'm interested if her qualifications would suffice.

I'm currently studying my social work degree and we're not sure who should be the primary applicant!

PGCE is the approved and most common way of getting successful AITSL skills assessment for teachers from the UK, so yes her qualifications will suffice for the AITSL assessment, however it depends on what your wife's undergrad and PGCE subjects are, and what state you want to go to, as to whether she will be able to teach what she wants in that state (ie in NSW I believe you have to have a relevant undergrad/pgce subject to teach that subject, however in SA you do not).

It is very difficult for UK Teachers to be recognised as a Pre-Primary Teacher in Australia, as it generally is not a qualification that is seen in the UK.

Its not that hard, you just need to have done the correct PGCE, that has enough focus on the Early Years and has enough class room experience with the correct age group - most PGCE courses seem to focus on giving placements in both infants and juniors and even then it tends to be older infants from my experience, whereas AITSL want it to be all lower infants to qualify for the Pre-Primary designation due to it being 0-5 years (whereas obviously the PGCE generally focuses on 6-11 due to the differences in education systems).

Thanks PositivePixie. I wondered if having my skills assessed would let me know if I could still work in a pre-school setting as a nursery nurse type role or not or if it is only 'teachers' working in that kind of role. I know I cant teach but surely I could still work with little ones? At least until I top up my qualifications over there so that they are recognised for teaching.

Sorry, been away for a couple of days...

I'm not 100% sure tbh - I know there is a new thing that has gone through that means even littlies need a qualified teacher in front of them now (which wasn't the case a year or so ago), but don't know about how that works if they have support staff or not - with regards to AISTL they will only assess for teachers, so it will just come back as negative from them, and not really sure if there is a skills assessment with regards to support staff for that kind of role or not.

There is 'Nurseryperson' on the SOL 2, assessed by the TRA, so that might be something to look into? Don't know if it means Child nursery or plants/garden nursery though, so something to certainly look into with regards to getting your skills assessed and so on.

Sorry can't be more helpful - not really my area of knowledge :(

Guest JandLeen

Hi!

I have been living in Perth for a month now and I have also done a bit of research on the Early Years thing! Im qualified PGCE for Primary teaching, but I have worked in reception for the last 2 yrs! I tried to apply for some work in nurseries and early years settings and I have found that you need to either have a BEd Early years or a diploma in Early years or Certificate 3 which seems to be the same as NVQ level 3. GTP isn't recognised over here unfortunately but I spoke to another teacher who came over here and did the aus equivalent. I think the other option is to do a PGCE in Early yrs. Teaching jobs here are a little scarce but I have gotten a job in private tutoring which is filling up fast and there are more and more TA jobs coming up (which I might consider just to get some experience in Australian schools)

I hope this has helped a little bit! Wishing you all the best if you decide to move down under! Im loving it so far :)

Thanks JandLeen,

Thats good news about working in nursery settings as I do have an NVQ level 3. I also have BA Hons in Early Years Education. BTW everyone I am not talking about getting my skills assessed for a visa, we already have our permanent visas under my husbands skills and moving out to OZ late summer. I didnt know whether to get them assessed to see what kind of work I can do overthere. Apparently all early childhood settings now come under ACEQA rules and regulations and you can pay them to get your skills assessed.

Thanks for your help everyone xx

That is correct yodayoda but you cant do your GTP at university because it is an employment based route to gain your QTS. So basically you have to have either a 4 year degree or a 3 year degree plus PGCE which is classed as that 4th year at uni.

JandLeen did you start your private tutoring off your own back? Do you still have to have your teacher credentials over there to do that? I think I will end up working in a nursery setting and then do what I need to do over there to be recognised as a teacher.

Never easy is it.....

Sx

Guest yodayoda

My gtp was a rare one where it was affiliated with Manchester met uni so I checked as it was a full on pgct and full year teaching in the year (yes I had no life for a year) but I've checked and its eligible. The normal gtp is not as it only gives you tqs and not pgce. There are a few programmes that still do tge first option;mine was with STORM although that's closed this year,

• 3 years later...
Guest Unregistered
I'm afraid you won't be able to work, or be positively assessed, for Early Years in Oz as it requires the same qualifications over there as Primary and Secondary school teachers - it must be a 4 year degree or a 3 (or more) year degree plus a 1 year full time ITT. If you have the GTP there isn't any point unfortunately in paying to get your skills assessed as it will be a negative assessment from the AITSL for Early Years teacher.

PGCE is the approved and most common way of getting successful AITSL skills assessment for teachers from the UK, so yes her qualifications will suffice for the AITSL assessment, however it depends on what your wife's undergrad and PGCE subjects are, and what state you want to go to, as to whether she will be able to teach what she wants in that state (ie in NSW I believe you have to have a relevant undergrad/pgce subject to teach that subject, however in SA you do not).

Its not that hard, you just need to have done the correct PGCE, that has enough focus on the Early Years and has enough class room experience with the correct age group - most PGCE courses seem to focus on giving placements in both infants and juniors and even then it tends to be older infants from my experience, whereas AITSL want it to be all lower infants to qualify for the Pre-Primary designation due to it being 0-5 years (whereas obviously the PGCE generally focuses on 6-11 due to the differences in education systems).

Hi- I am looking at studying either PGCE early years (Bath uni) or a EYITT course (bristol, bath etc) this is not a pgce however but focuses on 0*5 year olds. In your opinion, what would be the best to study to get a positive result for sponsership? Thanks! xx

• 4 years later...

Hi, I have a Post-Graduate Certificate in Early Years Practice with Early Years Teacher Status (EYTS) to teach ages 0-5 (early years initial teacher training, EYITT) (like QTS) .  So the course was 1 year full-time with placements.  Would this be recognised in Australia for Early Childhood Teacher, also what age group should I be working with in UK to help with immigration work skills side of things for example do I work in Nursery 0-5 or Reception age children 4-5 years old (school)?

kind regards,

Mahr