Cairns or Gold Coast???

Guest Chantel

Guest Chantel
Which serious flooding are you referring to?

There are floods all over south east QLD near Brisband and the Gold Coast??? We saw it on the Aussie news and now it's on English news.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chantel
There are? No-one told me. I better get the boat.

LOOOOOL are you serious? are the media doing what they do best and making a minor situation look like a major catastrophe? It's been all on the news, people being rescued out of cars, and literally paddling down the road in a boat! sand bags every where....? Doesn't ring any bells? In a different area perhaps? :twitcy:

LOOOOOL are you serious? are the media doing what they do best and making a minor situation look like a major catastrophe? It's been all on the news, people being rescued out of cars, and literally paddling down the road in a boat! sand bags every where....? Doesn't ring any bells? In a different area perhaps? :twitcy:

6 hours and 41 mins drive away according to google...I'll put the boat back in the shed shall I :twitcy:

Guest Chantel

Ok. So now I am EVEN more confused!!!!! Cairns - For it's beauty, Gold Coast for it's warmth and teen activities, or Perth for it's relaxed sophistication and security????????????

Guest Chantel
"Perth for it's relaxed sophistication and security????????????"....bloody hell I'm confused as well now :)

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :biglaugh: ok, where would you choose? Are you around the Gold Coast region? I have only been to Perth and haven't been there since 1998, fill me in please? Do you reckon that the Gold Coast is the best place for a young mid 30's couple with a teenage son, into music and theme parks etc...? and I hate being cold!!! The Gold Coast seems like the best all rounder as long as it's not flooding :tongue: I figure maybe I got too mentally attached to Cairns for it's beauty...HELP!!!! :twitcy:

Cairns does of course have a lot less development, jobs, facilities, govt resources etc etc than the more populated areas of Australia. As long as you take this into account.

I reckon it would depend how much you are outdoor people. Cairns is a small place far away from the big cities in a tropical climate so don't expect the Tate Modern. It is a place for nature lovers and outdoor people who can make their own fun in nature rather than needing man made attractions.

Pro's:

- Fantastic Winter

- Barrier Reef

- Very beautiful

- House prices?

- Friendly

- Stunning Nature

Con's:

- Unemployment

- Remote

- Children possibly more likely to leave when they grow up

- Facilities

- Less PC

- Crocs, Stingers, Cyclones

It is one of the most beautiful parts of Australia. Some of my holidays snaps:

6303590935_8566df6745_z.jpg

6304115910_0eaa35cb19_z.jpg

6303586005_9edee612cb_z.jpg

6303585347_3e8534bc31_z.jpg

6304121522_76e205cf05_z.jpg

Guest Chantel
Cairns does of course have a lot less development, jobs, facilities, govt resources etc etc than the more populated areas of Australia. As long as you take this into account.

I reckon it would depend how much you are outdoor people. Cairns is a small place far away from the big cities in a tropical climate so don't expect the Tate Modern. It is a place for nature lovers and outdoor people who can make their own fun in nature rather than needing man made attractions.

Pro's:

- Fantastic Winter

- Barrier Reef

- Very beautiful

- House prices?

- Friendly

- Stunning Nature

Con's:

- Unemployment

- Remote

- Facilities

- Less PC

That's me, I'm the out doors, stay away from man made stuff girl, my teen son loves a bit of fun and excitement and my husband is somewhere in the middle. I love the Cairns pics. What about Gold Coast and Perth? What would you say are the main differences between the two? Australia is just a huge and vastly beautiful place, I wish I could be everywhere at once! :cute:

The Gold Coast has a lot more people than Cairns but is still considered a small city in Australian terms with about 500,000 population.

It also has a tourist based economy that goes in cycles leading to higher unemployment but being a lot larger is more diverse than Cairns.

Being in the sub-tropics (rather than the tropics like Cairns) means it is warmer longer than Perth and has a warm dry winter compared to Perth's colder, relatively rainy winter but has off and on humidity and rain in summer (not at Cairns level) unlike Perth's dry heat summer. It is also green and lush compared to Perth but not as nice as Cairns. Winter nights (and some days) would seem cold to someone from Cairns but great compared to elsewhere though you may be cold at night due to no central heating.

The Gold Coast is set in a lovely spot being surrounded by sub tropical rainforests, beautiful off shore islands and off course beaches.

Pro's:

- Great Winter

- Tourist Facilites

- Very beautiful area

- House prices lower than the bigger cities in Australia - though still not cheap.

- Close to Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Northern NSW, Bryon Bay, Fraser Island, Stradbroke Island, Moreton Island, great rainforests etc

- Houses in hinterland

Con's:

- Unemployment

- Very endless suburbia feeling

- Children possibly leave when they grow up

- Cultural facilities a bit lacking but Brisbane is close

Some photos I found of Gold Coast/Brisbane area and surrounds:

in_bg_16.jpg

binna-burra-mountain.jpg

lm200d_(2).jpg

O'Reillys Lost World Spa:

oreillys-the-lost-world-spa.jpg

The pool:

OR WEB OReillys Lost World Spa - Infinity Pool.jpg

Or Binna Burra mountain lodge might be more you style :)

historic-binna-burra.jpg

Nearby Mt Warning National Park is lovely too:

MtWarning_9108_crNickRains_main.jpg

Brisbane/GC also has large offshore islands forming a protected bay for fishing/boating etc:

Tangalooma Wrecks.jpg

bris7.jpg

I have never been to Perth so would struggle to be totally accurate but this is what I have picked up from my reading. It is a city of around 1.6 million and growing due to the mines in isolated towns north of Perth using Perth as their base. Perth has a great winter by world standards but a rainy, cold winter compared to Gold Coast/Brisbane and Cairns. It's summer is better with dry heat though it can get occasional runs of very dry desert heat with temps in high 30's. Use of a pool would be 1-2 months less than GC without heating as spring is later and autumn sooner - but again by most standards it has a very good climate with some preferring it over the more humid Gold Coast, while others think it too desert like and prefer the green of GC and better winter - personal preference.

Unlike most Australian capital cities it has proper surf beaches running north and south of the city meaning people can live in the suburbs near a beach and near the city - a major advantage for beach bunnies only matched by Sydney but of course Sydney would cost far more. Gold Coast of course has this as well but is not a capital city.

Being a capital city Perth would have better cultural/govt/sporting etc facilites than than the Gold Coast (except tourist facilities) but poorer if you took the Gold Coast and Brisbane as one place. Of course you have to travel 45mins-1hr to Brisbane so this must be taken into account.

Perth has better wages and far lower unemployment than the Gold Coast but like you would expect higher prices to match.

Pro's:

- Great Weather

- Beaches in the suburbs

- Clean, pleasant place with great outdoor life

- Capital city facilities

- Unemployment low and wages higher

Con's:

- AFL

- Dry and possibly not in as diverse an area as the Gold Coast??

- Very suburban but will eventually get better with growth

- Very spread out north and south due to people hugging the coastline for breeze and beach access

- Expensive housing, food, drink etc

- No other big cities to drive to once you leave Perth

Hope my photos will do nature in Perth justice. Trying to show the lesser known surrounds (ie not just Perth beaches) but don't know the area:

Rottnest Island

RottnestIslandWA_TourismAustralia_main.jpg

6834_1168898506833_20070116-rotto-tieup.jpg

Perth Hills:

354222-perth-hills-walk-and-bike-trails.jpg

2583504-2-triple-waterfall.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

Pro's:

- Fantastic Winter

- Barrier Reef

- Very beautiful

- House prices?

- Friendly

- Stunning Nature

Con's:

- Unemployment

- Remote

- Facilities

- Less PC

Great photos Fish, a couple of things to add, unfortunately housing is expensive here and we have found them a lot smaller than Melbourne homes. However, the property prices are at rock bottom and we are told it can only improve, we knocked $100k off the price of our home, so there are bargains to be had.

There is plenty to do for young ones, there are a few nightclubs in town and the young ones tend to go down to the lagoon or the beaches. It's not a big city but we have most things that we had where we lived in Melbourne, in fact we probably have more on our doorstep. We have three large shopping centres, 3 cinemas, great eating places/bars etc.

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks MM!!

PS I would PM you this but I know you get too many ;) ...would you mind editing my photos out of your reply as I have probably already overwhelmed this thread :)

Yes sir.

I know where all of them were taken apart from the last one?

Yes sir.

I know where all of them were taken apart from the last one?

A resort we found by chance just off the road that goes through the Daintree before you get to Cape Trib. Blink and you miss it kind of turn off - lots of lucky people swanning around the pool in the middle of the rainforest :)

Guest Chantel
I have never been to Perth so would struggle to be totally accurate but this is what I have picked up from my reading. It is a city of around 1.6 million and growing due to the mines in isolated towns north of Perth using Perth as their base. Perth has a great winter by world standards but a rainy, cold winter compared to Gold Coast/Brisbane and Cairns. It's summer is better with dry heat though it can get occasional runs of very dry desert heat with temps in high 30's. Use of a pool would be 1-2 months less than GC without heating as spring is later and autumn sooner - but again by most standards it has a very good climate with some preferring it over the more humid Gold Coast, while others think it too desert like and prefer the green of GC and better winter - personal preference.

Unlike most Australian capital cities it has proper surf beaches running north and south of the city meaning people can live in the suburbs near a beach and near the city - a major advantage for beach bunnies only matched by Sydney but of course Sydney would cost far more. Gold Coast of course has this as well but is not a capital city.

Being a capital city Perth would have better cultural/govt/sporting etc facilites than than the Gold Coast (except tourist facilities) but poorer if you took the Gold Coast and Brisbane as one place. Of course you have to travel 45mins-1hr to Brisbane so this must be taken into account.

Perth has better wages and far lower unemployment than the Gold Coast but like you would expect higher prices to match.

Pro's:

- Great Weather

- Beaches in the suburbs

- Clean, pleasant place with great outdoor life

- Capital city facilities

- Unemployment low and wages higher

Con's:

- AFL

- Dry and possibly not in as diverse an area as the Gold Coast??

- Very suburban but will eventually get better with growth

- Very spread out north and south due to people hugging the coastline for breeze and beach access

- Expensive housing, food, drink etc

- No other big cities to drive to once you leave Perth

Hope my photos will do nature in Perth justice. Trying to show the lesser known surrounds (ie not just Perth beaches) but don't know the area:

Fish, you have gone the extra mile...Thank You :notworthy: I am still very confused, there is too much beauty, and a different lifestyle all over. The one thing that deters me from Perth is that it is to me a nice city surrounded by houses with a nice beach, it lacks natural beauty to me, and the Gold Coast as with Cairns, employment concerns...I think we need to study job opportunities in all 3 cities.

Guest Chantel
Thanks, can you tell Chantel to do the same now :laugh:

Hello, sorry, just done it again! :cute: how do I quote you/reply without the pics?

Fish, you have gone the extra mile...Thank You :notworthy: I am still very confused, there is too much beauty, and a different lifestyle all over. The one thing that deters me from Perth is that it is to me a nice city surrounded by houses with a nice beach, it lacks natural beauty to me, and the Gold Coast as with Cairns, employment concerns...I think we need to study job opportunities in all 3 cities.

Never been and you have, but I'm sure Perth has lots of its own style of natural beauty surrounding it so it might just come down to your preference of what type of things you prefer re beaches, wineries, mountains, rainforests, islands, reefs etc

Guest Chantel
Never been and you have, but I'm sure Perth has lots of its own style of natural beauty surrounding it so it might just come down to your preference of what type of things you prefer re beaches, wineries, mountains, rainforests, islands, reefs etc

for me, I love walking along the beach, but I also love looking at the mountains and the greenery of the rainforests, I love the idea of being able to take a boat out to lots of different islands etc... Employment is now really the main concern. If it came down to Employment, it sounds like Perth is the answer...I don't know! :sad:

Archived