Hello from a newbie but soon to be regular poster

KathleenandCraig

Hi All

Firstly quick intro about us

Kathleen: 27 year old Nurse

Craig: 30 Year old working in marketing

2 cocker spaniels – Riley and Cleo :animal-dog:

That’s our small family in a nutshell

We have been thinking of moving to OZ for past 5 years but Kathleen was undertaking a Nursing diploma at University from 2008 to 2011 to become a registered staff nurse in Neurology, so we had to put those ideas on hold. Now Kathleen is a year and a bit into working as a registered nurse we have decided to resurrect the idea of moving.

We have been out only once to Australia to visit Craig's sister who is a midwife in Melbourne on a 4 year visa. Instantly fell in love with the country and culture (though we don't think Melbourne is for us) but at same time saw it like every country has its problems. We have friends in Adelaide who rave about it and we quite like the conversations we have had with others about Perth. We are aiming to come out to Oz April/May time on holiday and instead of spending all that time in Victoria we aim to spend at least 1-2 weeks visiting both Adelaide and Perth.

We have also contacted some Hospitals for Kathleen to visit in those areas to just have a look round and chat etc, which has been very positive with several of the hospitals inviting her in. We understand the amount of experience Kathleen needs differs at each hospital some say 18 months some say 2 years.

I guess what is so daunting is we know from my sister the stress and challenges of what lies in front of us just to get to Oz. Making the decision to come is easy but we are now looking about at where to start first? We know bits but we know that’s not even touching the tip of the iceberg with what needs to be done. As we are not married yet (been together 11 years - yes we know we should be but blame Craig) we aren't sure if Craig will qualify for a partner Visa? We aren't even sure if Kathleen’s nursing is enough? We know it’s far from a done deal and it can be all over because of just one setback but we are of the attitude we won’t know unless we try. If anyone can give us a starting point of things we should be doing now we would really appreciate it. Ideally we want to look at finding out when is the earlist we could go? Is it 6 months or is it 12 months>? Should we be starting the visa process? Or is finding a job needed first? I understand the regulation for bringing our dogs changed this year so we need to consider that too. So many things we are going to be putting a spreadsheet together (That’s Craig’s marketing coming out so will probably be followed by a PowerPoint presentation :laugh:).

Anyway that enough for now as we are sure will be asking more than a few questions on the forums over the coming months.

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome.

We have started making some initial calls to a couple of agents to get some further information. We just want to formulate a plan of action and set our own expectations when we/if we can move. We have a niggling feeling due to Kathleen only being 12 months as a registered nurse we will have to wait a little longer to apply for a visa, or even that she will need to find a job first before applying. Hoping to collect a lot of info for our trip in April so we can maximize the 3 weeks out there looking/speaking/investigating what we need to.

Guest joanneG

Hi there and welcome.

Im new on here too. If it helps my friend traveled Australia as a nurse and loved her experience at a hospital in Perth. How are you planning to apply? Are you going to try the skilled route if so dont think you would have to apply for a partner visa as you will include your partner on your visa application. I currently have a skilled visa but as i met my partner several years after obtaining it we have had to apply for a partner visa.

Good luck

Hi there and welcome.

Im new on here too. If it helps my friend traveled Australia as a nurse and loved her experience at a hospital in Perth. How are you planning to apply? Are you going to try the skilled route if so dont think you would have to apply for a partner visa as you will include your partner on your visa application. I currently have a skilled visa but as i met my partner several years after obtaining it we have had to apply for a partner visa.

Good luck

Hi and thanks for the reply. Yeah nurses/Midwifes seems on the whole quite happy, though like every job there is always parts you don't like.

To be honest we know very little at this stage regarding Visas etc. We are busy scouring the internet including this website/forum to find out about which Visas etc but it’s blowing our minds. We think (with what we think we know) it would be a skilled Visa but with so little experience (12 months or less) we are not sure Kathleen even qualifies yet. We were just talking 10 minutes ago about we need to find out which way she does it – find A job then get a Visa or get a Visa and then find a job.

We are still at that early stage we didn't know I would qualify too if she went that route so thanks (I think the saying is you learn something new everyday, we are learning 100 a day at present). We have been looking at the dog situation today (even though we know that is far far down the line) but the costs are scary to get the 2 of them out there, though it is the only option, we all move or we all stay.

Hi

Few things to consider: if you are looking at a sponsored 457 visa, this is not permanent and is a little risky. It takes from a few weeks to a couple of months. You can be sponsored later down the line by your employer for permanent residency.

176 state sponsorship, this is a permanent visa, you are obliged to work in that state for 2 years. This visa is currently taking upto 12 months to process.

175 permanent residency visa, both of these permanent visas have a points system which you would need to meet depending on several factors. This visa is also currently being processed within 12 month. So it depends how quickly you would need to get out there.

For permanent residency visa applications as a nurse (main applicant) you would need to have your skills assessed by the ANMAC prior to lodging your application.

Also you may need to take an English test (IELTS)

Good luck

Hi

Few things to consider: if you are looking at a sponsored 457 visa, this is not permanent and is a little risky. It takes from a few weeks to a couple of months. You can be sponsored later down the line by your employer for permanent residency.

176 state sponsorship, this is a permanent visa, you are obliged to work in that state for 2 years. This visa is currently taking upto 12 months to process.

175 permanent residency visa, both of these permanent visas have a points system which you would need to meet depending on several factors. This visa is also currently being processed within 12 month. So it depends how quickly you would need to get out there.

For permanent residency visa applications as a nurse (main applicant) you would need to have your skills assessed by the ANMAC prior to lodging your application.

Also you may need to take an English test (IELTS)

Good luck

I think my sister must have gone in on the 457 Visa as she was allowed to go for up to 4 years but now she is there I believe her employer is paying some/all of the cost for permanent stay. I take it that maybe the ANMAC should be the starting point. I don't think we will be looking to be getting on that plane this year but early-mid 2013 would be good for us, time to sort/sell our house here in the UK and for Kathleen to have just under 2 years Nursing experience.

If it is permanent residency you will be applying for the 1st step is to make sure you will have enough points for this visa. The next step would be the IELTS. You will need to score >7 in all areas, reading, writing, listening and speaking in one sitting. You get more points towards your visa application if you get >8. After this you then apply to then ANMAC for your skills assessment. Once you have a positive skills assessment then you apply for the visa. From booking the IELTS to having a positive skills assessment and applying for our visa it took 6 months!!

Archived