Been asked a lot...still needs advice...

auss

Hi All

We are a family of 3 (Kid is 3 year old).We have received the PR this month & is excited for the move.However,we have decided that the OH would move first & get settled & we would join him later.

We are planning to move to Melbourne because that is where we have our family.

My questions are

What would be the amount that my OH would need to carry initially (his accommodation is taken care of)

What would be the minimum decent salary that we should be aiming for?

How fast would he able to get a job in IT?

Thank you in advance for your answers...

Guest The Pom Queen

What work does he do in IT, I have known people walk in to a job and others it's taken them 6 months and multiple job applications.

Guest VickyMel

Suggest you take a look on SEEK.com.au and look at the type of jobs he may be eligible to apply for re his experience and then you will get an idea of the salaries involved.

A lot of the IT jobs seem to be contract initially.

FYI, no job agencies will be interested in your OH until they can 'look him in the eye', as soon as they find out you're not in the country they will lose interest rapidly!

Good luck.

Geoff

I Have to Agree

i made contact with loads of companys when i was in the UK nothing really came of it.

Soon as i got here i started work within 2 weeks !

My wife had the same experiance we both started our jobs on the same day !

I stayed at my first job for 5 weeks and hated it witha passion but it got me going in the right direction.

As for Salary ?

Be prepared to take whatever offer you get, just to get going then shop around once your employed.

"Its a lot easier to get a job, when you got a job"

I think alot of companies like you to have some Aussie experience...you will also encounter opportunities and employment info just by talking to work friends in the same field...that's how my OH found his 2nd job here....even though he actually worked for the same company in uk....in my OHs experience he has found that employers are like UK based employees as alot of there training is vastly superior compared to Aussie training....this maybe just his field...can't comment on others..

Guest Guest62757

My husband works in the IT sector but for investment banking (soon to be retail). He applied for a job whilst we were in London for a well known Australian investment bank and got hired from the UK but as we were making the move out here anyway they didn't pay for relocation. He is Australian so I'm not sure if this made a difference.

We are now moving to Melbourne for a job in a retail bank.

I can tell you that getting a permanent job here is like pulling teeth the interviewing process is very slow. With the first job he had three interviews once a week and then he performed the 2hr psychometric test then followed by another interview with HR and manager etc.

With this new job he has been in talks since September and he has only just signed the contract.

My advice is start looking and applying now.

My husband just said a BA is a luxury and they are sometimes the first to go when things get tough, and there are a lot of BA out there. Does he have any other skills like project management, testing, development that he could try as a fall back until the right job comes along?

As for salary hubby said in banking a BA can expect around $120-140k.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived