Painter & Decorator after some info!

northwest

Hi all and happy new year, lets hope its a bright, healthy and prosperous one! (cant spell)

Hoping somebody can answer a few questions for me please.

I am a painter and decorator moving out to Oz (WA) in Aug/Sept 2012 with my wife and two young kids on a PR Visa.

Is there loads of work for p & d's?

Is it consistant work?

How many hours a week do they usually do?

What is the pay?

What potentially can a decorator earn by the hour?

Is there a lot of site/price work going on and what can be earned by working hard on price work?

Just having abit of a wobble about the finance side of it and the cost of living Blah Blah.

Dont want to be rich, just want to survive and have a good quality family lifestyle and not work like a dog to make ends meet!

Would appreciate any feed back!

Many thanks

Ste

Hi ste

good luck with any answer you get on here, can only tell you what i know,

cut long story short, we have pr visa , painter myself ,did recky year and half ago

plenty of work but money not great, expect to earn around $32 to $35 an hour

house prices very expensive,rentals expensive, same as you wernt expecting to

be rich out there just work hard and earn a descent crust, did the maths and decided

we would be really worse of and struggle, so we sold our house here downsized and are

now staying in blighty, ok weather not as great as wa but better of here

if you wanna know more just get in touch

good luck

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Hi just in early stages of emigrating to Brisbane, Could you give me any info on your visa as painter as this is my husband's trade and i was under the impression this skill is not on the skills list. Would appreciate any advice

Hi Crosshill,

My first advice would to speak with an agency as soon as possible! If this is something you want to pursue you need to get onto it asap and not dordle! I dont know if you have spoke to an agency already but having a simple conversation with them will give you all the answers that you have at the moment and this will put you in a good position to see if this is going to be possible and of the different options you could have. I have no problem in recommending Overseas Emmigration Services (OE) based in Edinburgh, they are great! Ask for Laurence.

Thankfully we decided to ring this agency at the right time (end of Jan last year) and we pushed ourselves to get our application in before the July 2011 deadline when the points system changed. With their great service and us being right on the ball and trying to be ahead of the game with the paper work we had our applicaion in by may well inside the deadline! In WA Painters were on the list so we went for state sponsorship with WA as we were thinking of Perth anyway although not totally convinced by WA, but no other state had Painters on the wanted list. I dont know if its on the skills list anymore for any state but the agent will tell you this over the phone. I received my 176 skilled migrant visa in september but could of probably had it a couple of months earlier as we were waiting for our second child to be born to have medicals and we live in the isle of man so we had to travel to the Uk to have our medicals. So it can be all done in a short space of time!

Anyway i have gone on abit but hope this helps and if you want to know anything more specific just ask, no probs!

Good luck and go for it, it was this time last year we made the phone call and it was well worth it!

Ste

Hi all and happy new year, lets hope its a bright, healthy and prosperous one! (cant spell)

Hoping somebody can answer a few questions for me please.

I am a painter and decorator moving out to Oz (WA) in Aug/Sept 2012 with my wife and two young kids on a PR Visa.

Is there loads of work for p & d's?

Is it consistant work?

How many hours a week do they usually do?

What is the pay?

What potentially can a decorator earn by the hour?

Is there a lot of site/price work going on and what can be earned by working hard on price work?

Just having abit of a wobble about the finance side of it and the cost of living Blah Blah.

Dont want to be rich, just want to survive and have a good quality family lifestyle and not work like a dog to make ends meet!

Would appreciate any feed back!

Many thanks

Ste

Hi, we're also coming out to Perth in September, my OH is a painter & decorator. We haven't been able to find out much about the trade but have heard that there is plenty of work. Really we're not going to get a true idea of what can be earnt until we get out there and give it a try. We're the same, don't expect to be rich but don't want to work just to pay the bills. Work is pretty quiet over here at the moment so may as well give it a go over there. Good luck and let us know if you find out anything interesting. :biggrin: