Can I get my citizenship, and can I remarry as a Secondary Applicant Permanent Res?

Guest prudence33

Guest prudence33

Hi Everyone,

I am a bit concerned. I am a Permanent Resident, but it was due to my ex partner who was skilled, and I was a secondary applicant. It has been six months since we separated, and I would like to know if I am eligible for citizenship, considering the relationship ended? I have recently met someone and would like to know if I could sponsor my new partner who is in England at the moment. I do understand that we have to wait 12 months until we could apply, but can I sponsor her considering I am a secondary applicant myself?

I would appreciate any advice.

:-)

Hi there prudence,

If you are a permanent resident then to my knowledge there are no conditions that involve requiring you to remain with the first applicant, the visa issued is exactly the same as if you had been the first applicant.

Your new partner could apply for a Prospective Marriage (Temporary) (subclass 300) visa which would allow her to enter Australia.

This link should help with more info:-

http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

Regards,

4lan

You are a permanent resident - full stop. It doesn't matter if you are primary or secondary applicant, now that you have it your are eligible to sponsor your partner for a visa.

If you have lived in Australia for four years, you can apply for citizenship - regardless of whether you have split from your ex.

Archived