homesick may go back to uk

clark

hi all i emigrated in aug 2011 on a skilled ind 175 visa to townsville qld. i'm sungle and out here on my own, having travelled in oz in 2001 and then other years it took 2 yrs to get thru the process, so very excited i came to oz and stayed with a buddy in townsville, bloody hell it gets so friggin humid up there. so i got a job within 3 hrs of looking ,v lucky, as a cabinet maker,.

i struggled in tsv because of the heat and stayimg in a timber built queenslander as it wasnt up to my standards of cleanlyness.

to cut short i left townsville in nov 2011 and flew to perth to my buddys and now living in joondalup where i like v much, ive been trying to get a job but i know its a difficult period over crimbo and ny.

i miss home in carlisle, cumbria england v v v much also the great family and frienda i had. aus is defo different frm the uk and its v different from travelling around aus to actually living in perth, i'm trying to force myself to stay, got a forklift training day next week and going to freo in a few days inbetween sending cv's out and knocking on doors and asking for a job

i'm hopeing i settle a little more when my belongings get delivered next week, along with golf clubs and push iron ( bike)

at the moment all i can see that is better in oz to the uk is the weather (goes without saying really) although its a bit like groundhog day as in every day is always the same, most of the time, and oh yes the beaches.

i also loved to fell walk in the amazing lake district and miss that although there are beauti walks along the coast, it not quite the same but i suppose thats why i came to qaus because its totally different to the uk,

i could go on but id be here a long time as i'm a 1 fingered typer, just wanted to know any one elses thoughts

cheers clark

You sound like you are still 'camping' - no proper home, no possessions - and no job either but you say you like Joondalup? Work will probably start to pick up after Australia Day when more people are going back to work, school, uni. I remember it took me nearly three months to get a job when I first came - from Nov 78 in Perth to end of Jan 79 in Sydney. It should get easier once you've got a job, settled into a home, made some new friends. If it doesn't, take a trip back home.

I can't remember how I felt in those first few months, missed my family certainly but I don't think I was ever desperately lonely. I lived in a private hotel and made a few friends there, then my brothers followed me out. I made plenty of trips back to the UK and eventually went back for twelve years. It's just the way that things worked out. I can understand why you'd miss The Lake District. I miss The New Forest, cycling and walking around the little villages, separated by lovely countryside. I imagine you could fit The New Forest into metropolitan Sydney and still have bits sticking out! But Sydney's beaches are a lovely compensation and I've started to swim year-round now. 6.30 pm so I'll be going soon to one.

PS Join a bushwalking club - there are bound to be some in your area and get out in the bush with some like-minded people. It's just like The Ramblers with organized walks. Cycling club too.

Archived