Where to start?

tommo007

Hi,

I have decided to emigrate however not really sure where to start, my sister lives about 30 minutes drive fom canberra, would anyone reccomend that part of australia? Also with regards to visa application what are views on using an agent or not?

Look forward to your replies

Hi Tommo,

Start with research research research. Talk to your sister, see what she says. Check out http://www.immi.gov.au for all the official information. We went through an agent to get our visas, it gave us the extra reassurance that our paperwork would be filled out correctly etc.

Check out job prospects, the sort of area you'd want to live, look at the possibility of state sponsorship, all that sort of thing.

-Cat

Hi Tommo

Regarding visa application, I was applying for a partner visa through the London embassy. I didn't use an agent and had no problems. I think using an agent may even slow things down. The case officer I had was excellent. Whenever I sent documents he responded within 24 hours of recieving to confirm reciept and he posted everything important back to me. I think having an agent may give you piece of mind, but I think they would slow things down and all they would do is duplicate the case officers job of reviewing what you send and making sure he doesn't need more info, whatever time it takes the agent to reviewing the documents is the time it could have been with a case officer, and however long it takes to pass on any information the agent recieves from the case officer is wasted time (and I guess more money!!). From reading other posts it may depend on which case officer you have, but hope that helps.

Regarding where to live, wow what a question! I'm currently in Melbourne and about to move to Canberra. I love Melbourne, its awesome, and there's so much to see and do around Victoria. However, there seems to be tons to see and do around Canberra and in particular NSW. Although at first I wasn't sure whether I wanted to leave Melbourne, I've spent 6 awesome months exploring here before seeing more of Oz. There seems so much to see all over Oz its a hard decision as to where to live. So unless you want something specific i.e. great nightlife, or great for kids etc its a bit tricky to say.

I think having an agent may give you piece of mind, but I think they would slow things down and all they would do is duplicate the case officers job of reviewing what you send and making sure he doesn't need more info, whatever time it takes the agent to reviewing the documents is the time it could have been with a case officer, and however long it takes to pass on any information the agent recieves from the case officer is wasted time (and I guess more money!!).

Here I disagree, a decent agent will make sure the application is complete so that the CO doesn't need to keep requesting additional documentation.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replies sorry it took me so long it took me some time to work out how to get on previous threads, if I can't manage that looks like I'd better get a migration agent !! I have been researching a lot and would reanalysing like to live somewhere good for he kids. Two boys aged 8 and 10 really into skateboarding?

Archived