New criteria for Skilled – Independent 175 Visa

lauracoldwell

Hi Everyone,

I hope that everyone had a good Christmas and New Year. My husband and I are emigrating to Australia (either Sydney or Darwin). I recently received 3 job offers on a 457 temporary resident visa but decided to go with PR. I will meet the criteria in September 2012 as I will have had my 12 months work experience in my job (mental health nurse) which is one of the requirements. I have called Ian Harrop as that is the agent we will be using and they advised me that the 175 visa application process will be changing. Although I have looked up on the net about this I was hoping that maybe someone who is also about to undergo the new process could share their experiences.

I have waited for so long to go Im worried they might suddenly stop taking in nurses which is ridiculous I know and I know i sound crazy :goofy: but I am getting more anxious the less time we have.

Thanks xxx

From July 2012, you have to put forward an Expresion of Interest (i.e. apply for an invation to be able to apply for a visa). People will no longer be able to just send in an application. More details here: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/skillselect.htm

[h=3]Independent Skilled migration[/h] SkillSelect will automatically issue invitations on a regular basis, with the first round of invitations likely to be issued in August 2012. For intending migrants in the Independent skilled migration stream, invitations will be issued to the highest ranking EOIs in descending order, subject to occupation ceilings. The date and time of submission of the completed EOI may be used to separate those who score equally in any given invitation round in order to ensure that the number of invitations issued matches the available program places and processing resources. Departmental officers will not be involved in the invitation issue process.

Occupation ceilings are a limit on how many people are selected for points tested skilled migration from an occupation group. This ensures that the migration program is not dominated by a narrow range of occupations. The limit will be calculated and announced annually in the context of announcements on the size and composition of the next year’s Migration Program. When this limit is reached, no further invitations for that particular occupation group will be issued for that program year. In the event that an occupation ceiling is reached, invitations would then be allocated to other occupation groups even if they are lower scoring.

[h=3]State and Territory Sponsored skilled migration[/h] State and territory government representatives will search SkillSelect for intending migrants. State or territory governments will be able to nominate intending migrants at any time using SkillSelect, subject to their State Migration Plan sponsorship limit. Those nominated will receive an invitation through SkillSelect to apply for a visa.

Thanks Peach, It sends you into panic mode a bit with there being a limited number of applications but it must be in the high thousands surely. We did look at NZ which is the same process as Australia will be and they never seem to run out of application spaces for nursing so I hope it'll be the same.

Archived