Nurse to Australia....

nursealli

....obviously as I'm posting here!

Does anyone have an idiots guide to the registration process for nurses? I'm spending ages here reading posts and it all seems so confusing!!

I have IELTS as my original plans were to go to NZ....but lack of jobs/high living costs/low wages has led me to look at Australia...at least I'd be able to travel around and see what's out there once I get there!

Not sure whether to go permanently or on a temp visa....I'm single aged 39 so any info very greatfully appreciated!

Happy New Year! :biggrin:

Guest tandcmum

first thingyou need to do is decide what visa you want to go on, wether you want to be sponsored by a hospital or go it alone get the visa then work for whoever you like. You also need to decide how soon you want to make the move. Each different visa means getting things organised in different orders however the IELTS is the first stop. If you are going for an independednt visa 175/176 first check you met the points criteria, if you do then next job is skills assessment from ANMAC, once that is through you can apply for state sponsorship for a 176 or if you are going for the 175 you can apply for that. This visa takes around 18 months i believe so you dont want to do you nurse registration just yeat as you only have a year after it is granted to get over to Oz.

If however you would like to be sponsored by hospital then it is a slightly different route. You should start getting your nurse registration with AHPRA sorted now, you can get the forms from the AHPRA website and it is fairly straightforward if you follow the checklists etc. You can also start applying for jobs now too, some places will only show any interest after you have got your nursing registration but some will offer you sponsorship and job prior to you getting this. Around this time of year a lot of hospitals down under do recruitment drives for UK nurses so keep a look out on nursing standard and on individual hospital websites. Once you have a job and your AHPRA you can then apply for your visa, most hospitals only sponsor for a temp 457 visa but this is fairly quick in being processed, some do offer PR sponsored visas tho too so worth asking

Hope this helps a bit, if i can help anymore just shout

Great advice given there. It is about the visa, the job comes after youve made that decision.

I took the easy route, went with a nursing agency who helped me with loads of step by step guide sheets which i used to complete the various forms etc. they also created a CV and sent it out to employers. I was lucky to find emplyment straight away who sponsered me for the 457.....the agency didnt charge me one cent. Charged the employer instead.

Its straight forward to do it yourself if you have time and patience to read, digest then organise what you need to do when.

Good luck:cute:

Guest tandcmum

if you are going to go down the 457 route get your AHPRA application in now, you wont need a skills assessment. A lot of hospitals will bring you over on the 457 visa but most will be happy to sponsor you for a permanenet visa after 6-12 months. Do read up on the drawbacks of the 457 visa though to make sure it isokay for you

Archived