got to leave aus and.....

kevin'n'dawn

Guest talisman
go get our permanent visa in singapore . when's best time to go' date='how long for and who to book through, and what's there to do whilst there for 2 adults and an 8 and 3 year old.

Any suggestions ? thanks now for any help.:arghh:[/quote']

Hi do you mind me asking why do you have to go to Singapore to get your permanent visa? Also whats it like in Bunbury?

jane:huh:

Guest Ruby Okim

Hi there!

My OH and I are currently in Singapore at the moment. We've been here for 3 and a half years so if you have any questions, just PM me cos I know the place like the back of my hand. Well, almost (it's only 682 sq km big!!)!:smile:

We applied for our permanent vise back in May, not long after Kev enquired about job vacancies down here in Bunbury, after an interview and getting the job,we were sponsored by them on a 457 temporay visa.

Seeing as we applied offshore for the permanent visa we have to leave agian before it is granted we can then return.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi, Kevin & Dawn

Where do I start? I was born & brought up in Malaysia (interspersed with irritating school terms in the UK.) My parents were last generation of British Colonials out there.

I don't know Singapore well. Mum has been there much more recently than I have and recommends Sentosa Island if you have childlren. I think the Tiger Balm Gardens are brilliant as well. A gin sling at Raffles Hotel is an absolute must even if you are not staying at Raffles, just so that you can say that you've done it.

I'd go over the causeway into Malaysia as well. If time (and hotels) permit, I would definitely recommend a trip up to Ipoh to visit the Batu Caves, plus a swim in the cascade at Tanjong Rambutan, near Ipoh. Chenderoh Lake is good too. Pangkor is disappointing nowadays but Batu Ferrhingi, in Penang, remains brill. The Snake Temple in Penang is worth donig - the snake they put into my arms was not cuddly but it was doped up to the eyeballs by the incence, so it was passive.

Holding a snake is an entirely weird sensation. They are scaly, so one expects the same sort of slime as as on a fish. None of that because the snake is bone dry BUT its skin is able to operate independently of its body. This has not stopped me laughing about OH'S Nether Regions ever since..... The sensation is exactly the same....

If it were me, I would also visit the Sultan's Wife in Johore. It is a LONG tradition that the Sultan of Johore always has four wives, one of whom is invariably British. I'd invite myself over for lunch or tea with her, since she will not be far away.

Visit the farms in Johore - the farmers will give you pineapples because it is the only thing they have to give. Please respect them by giving them something in return.

Muslim teaching is that one cannot allow a traveller to pass by one's door without inviting him in and offering him nourishment. Yep, well, I wouldn't recommend the local coffee or the biscuits, but by now the pineapples should be ready for cutting, I think.

Cameron Highlands is brlliant too. At this time of year I would give the East of the Peninsula a miss, though. The real pull there is the giant turtles laying their eggs, but that does not happen at this time of the year. June & July are the best months for the turtles.

If you go into mainland Malaysia and you treat "my own" people well, you'll be amazed by their kindness towards you in return. I speak Malay so I would just stroll over the border into Johore and start asking questions. However they all speak English today anyway(Good On Them - why should they bother to learn someone else's language? But they HAVE bothered).

Cheers

Gill

Guest Sunsh1ne

Hi

We lived in Singapore for about a year but that was pre children. However definite things to consider are:

- sentosa - take the cable car from the mainland to the island

- singapore zoo - probably one of the best zoos we've ever been to

- night safari - next door to the zoo they run a night safari - its really well done and adults and kids love it

Maybes:

- sightseeing bus - Singapore is not very large

- science museum

- bowling - there's lots of bowling alleys

- Little India

Best time to visit is probably February to October - this is the dry season apparently - temperature is approximately 28-30 all year although humidity is very high. Expect to sweat.

Singapore is not very large and 3-4 days is probably sufficient.

Hope this helps.

Archived