Sydney searching...

Zo2Oz

Hi all,

I am heading to Sydney in a few weeks to start looking for rentals and I am just a bit stuck about where to start. I am looking at spending around $500 per week in rent for a 2 bedroom apartment. Ideally I was looking at areas like Randwick but I am not sure if my budget is enough for there. I came across Parramatta on my searches and budget-wise it seems quite good but what is the area like and does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost to commute from there to the city? I am quite flexible with where I live as long as the commute is no more than 45min/1hr so if anyone has any other suggestions that would be a great help!

Also apart from gumtree are there any other websites that deal with private rentals or do most people rent through an agent?

Thanks everyone!

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

Most people end up staying in holiday accommodation for a few weeks until a permanent rental is sorted out, You will not be able to sort a permanent rental until you get here as the agents like you to view the property before making an offer, A lot of private landlords use the local papers to advertise their vacancies.

Unfortunately Sydney can be very expensive to find good accommodation, so you will need to do a lot of research and checking up to get a good deal.

Look on www.domain.com.au. I think you'd be happier closer to the city than Parramatta, particularly if you are working there. I did a search around Leichhardt and a few places come up in your budget range. It's OK there, with plenty to do and good bus service to the city. Or go for a one bedroom place if you are on your own and live closer still to the city.

Thanks for your help Srp and Maryrose! i think that you are right Maryrose about being happier close to the city, I was just getting worried about how far my budget will go, I have been searching lots more areas and I am quite excited to get to Sydney! I have contacted a few places that I have seen on gumtree and I will hopefully go and view them. They are all in different areas so I guess I will get to have a good look around. Wollstonecraft, Gladesville, Chatswood, Leichhardt and Ryde, are there any good/bad points about these areas?

Does anyone know what is the best newspaper to get for rentals?

Thanks again :biggrin:

Hi All

Sorry for jumping on this post but what is Parramatta actually like? My new employer for our 457 visa has said that is where I am likely to be based. I've read some posts that say the hills just north of there are better family suburbs. Any opinions at all on this?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi All

Sorry for jumping on this post but what is Parramatta actually like? My new employer for our 457 visa has said that is where I am likely to be based. I've read some posts that say the hills just north of there are better family suburbs. Any opinions at all on this?

Thanks in advance

Mark

The Hills is an excellent family area. Would suggest Baulkham Hills, Winston Hills, Northmead for an easier commute to Parramatta. Would NOT advise you to live in Parra.

When you do find a place to stay you have to act quick to get it, we viewed and applied for 5 apartments in and around bondi and the quicker you get the application forms filled in and returned the better. We applied the day after viewing a property and got the keys 2 days later

The Hills is an excellent family area. Would suggest Baulkham Hills, Winston Hills, Northmead for an easier commute to Parramatta. Would NOT advise you to live in Parra.

Thanks Ellie

I will research these areas a bit more. So glad of the feedback you get from here - saves a lot of worrying!

Cheers

Mark

P.s. Happy new year!

Thanks Ellie

I will research these areas a bit more. So glad of the feedback you get from here - saves a lot of worrying!

Cheers

Mark

P.s. Happy new year!

Your job is in the city isn't it? Not Parramatta? Not much point in moving to the Hills District if you are working in Sydney CBD as the transport is worse from there than Parra. Live as close to the city as you can afford and preferably close to a railway station. If you want to live near the coast - well, maybe around Maroubra/Maroubra Junction if you can't afford Randwick. No train there but plenty of bus services to the CBD. If you don't want/can't afford the inner city, then maybe a bit further out - Ashfield, Marrickville, Dulwhich Hill, Campsie (there is a HUGE development going up here - Kempton Park I think, not Campsie) Maybe down in 'The Shire' (with the Hobbits.) Cronulla is the only Sydney beach with a railway station.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived