Sponsored on a 457 visa but going to be unemployed shortly - help! :(

tux182

Hi All

I'm in a bit of a pickle and I'm hoping someone can help suggest something to help out

I arrived in Australia in March 2010 on a 417 working Holiday Visa. Where i did contract IT work.

In Jan 2011 I got sponsored on a 457 with a perm IT job.

I'm leaving the perm job in question in early Jan. No going back. Thats it.

So of course I realise legally I have 28 days from my last day of employment to get a new perm job that will take on my 457, or i have to leave the country.

The only other method i have of staying is transferring to a full time student visa - which of course isnt ideal as i want to get another full time role.

I don't have a degree or anything as i didn't goto Uni + my IT job(s) aren't on the skilled jobs list. So a skilled migration doesn't look possible?

Are immigration super strict on 'you must leave on X date no matter what?

Any other suggestions/help welcomed!

Once your 28 days is up you will be in Australia without a valid visa - i.e. illegally. You should find another employer prepared to sponsor you, or prepare to leave the country. It might be worth paying for some proper advice from a register agent, but from what you've described it seems pretty bleak. Sorry.

Are immigration super strict on 'you must leave on X date no matter what?

I don't believe it is 28 days from the date you leave your job, you will be given 28 days notice by DIAC once they are aware of the situation and you have to leave by that date. You obviously cannot just not tell DIAC and your employer certainly is obliged to, but just saying it will be a specific date you are given, not necessarily just 28 days from your last day in the office.

To the question, yes of course they are strict! If you hope to come back to Australia one day than overstaying is a spectacularly bad idea, you could even find yourself with a ban.

Archived