Having a baby, what to do?

Polkey

Wow, its all hapening. Just found out a couple of days ago that im going to be a dad for the first time, several years earlier than we planned and this morning i got the call to tell us we got our visas. Right now life could not be better.

:jiggy:

So what next? We aimed to go end of April originaly so we could save a bit more money and finish paying the credit card off. Who and when do we inform that we have a baby on the way and will it change our visas? More inportant, do we have the baby at home or do we head out to Oz and do it all out there? We have until the 12th Sept 2008 to get there but we just dont know what to do and where to start.

Has any one else out there had a similar thing happen, i mean it must happen to others ?

What are the pros and cons of having the baby out in Oz or staying at home and then going. Any advice you good people might have would be great because right now i feel like a headless chicken.

Thanks All,

John.

Guest sexkit001

Hi

just to let you know in the same boat but worse as we have not yet had our medicals and only just found out on monday that I am pregnant and only early days if it was me I would go to Oz at least that way you can get everything ready first and prepared for when the little comes but that is just me... sorry can't help any further our heads a bit all over the place still so if we find anything out will let you know and CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

K xxx

Guest maxxangel

Firstly, congratulations on both the visa and impending parenthood!

I do recall having read a couple of things on people in this situation and I'm just trying to remember what they did. I have the feeling that the best thing would be to have the baby there, which I know that some have done. They problems I would forsee having it here, would be the need to apply for another visa for the new little family member (I'm sure you would have to). Also I believe you are only allowed to fly in earlier pregnancy and not in the last months.

Hope this helps. I will see if I can find that article I read on a woman who found herself pregnant before emmigrating.

Cara

Guest Impatient

Yep, think flying limit is 28 weeks for flying. If you can get to Oz before then, fine, but you will need to make the appropriate arrangements for your own birth plans before you go.

Guest mutikonka

Having had one bub in England then moved to Oz and had another one I would suggest you go ASAP and get settled.

We moved to Sydney when our first son was just a few weeks old and it was quite difficult working out all the different ways of doing things over here - the whole postnatal care system is different. If I had to sum it up I would say Australia has better hospital care but the UK has much better GP postnatal care for babies. In Australia, when #2 was born it felt like we were just dumped out on the street after leaving the maternity hospital - the local GPs just didn't seem geared up to baby care - no nurses, health visitors or special baby clinics. Luckily we had some idea what to do second time round.

As new arrivals in Australia we had the problems of finding work/housing and setting up bank accounts, tax file numbers, buying a car on top of all the new baby things to do. It's probaby much better to get this done before junior makes an apperamce and you are having sleepless nights etc

The other thing to think about is getting you kid's name down for a good school - you have to enrol them at birth these days to have any chance of getting in!

Guest The Baggo's

Hi firstly congratulations on your lovely news! don't know you personal circumstances but I would imagine having a first child away on your own away from parents / grandparents would be very difficult (I know one girl lasted 4 months in Perth as she was so homesick for her parents / depressed having had 1st new baby- I know not everyone's the same but it is a really difficult / emotional time for new Mums!!). Hope things work out ok for you both! Good luck x

Congratulations! Wow, hard decisions. There is so much to probably weigh up. We were thinking about a 3rd child and wondering whether or not to wait unitl we get to Aus or just go for it now! All I know is that the time before having a baby is the most practical. You have more time in your day to get things done and have more sleep etc. I am enclined to think that if you can fit it all in before baby and settle in Aus you can perhaps then enjoy the early stages of being a parent there rather than have baby here and have the upheaval later on with a new baby, long flights. Other factors are family etc in that they won't be around. I moved when my baby was 4months and looking back it would have been a whole lot easier being a mum if my home and lifestyle were alot more settled. Sometimes there is never a good time and you just have to go with the flow!! Good luck and let us know what you decide. Bernie :wub:

Hiya

Congrats on the visa's and the baby.

Another thought to add to your dilemma is, if you decide to wait til after the birth have you thought about going over in the next few mths to get your visas validated? I know its a lot of money at a time when you need all you can get BUT you must only have 2/3/4 mths after the birth to enter Aus before your visa's expire and you never know what might happen.......Mom or baby might be poorly or mom (or you for that matter) might decide that 2 mths after giving birth is too soon to be moving to the other side of the world etc.

I shouldn't worry too much about getting the baby a visa, I think thats quite straight forward.

Dont want to worry you anymore than you are already, I'm sure everything will be fine, I just thought its something you should think about.

Good Luck with everything, enjoy the next few months, they're very special times.

Sam xx

Wow, its all hapening. Just found out a couple of days ago that im going to be a dad for the first time, several years earlier than we planned and this morning i got the call to tell us we got our visas. Right now life could not be better.

:jiggy:

So what next? We aimed to go end of April originaly so we could save a bit more money and finish paying the credit card off. Who and when do we inform that we have a baby on the way and will it change our visas? More inportant, do we have the baby at home or do we head out to Oz and do it all out there? We have until the 12th Sept 2008 to get there but we just dont know what to do and where to start.

Has any one else out there had a similar thing happen, i mean it must happen to others ?

What are the pros and cons of having the baby out in Oz or staying at home and then going. Any advice you good people might have would be great because right now i feel like a headless chicken.

Thanks All,

John.

First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

We too found ourselves in the same position. We, me, oh and 2 boys had our visas and then found out I was pregnant again. We were planning to come to live in OZ over 2 years ago now but we did decide to have the baby at home. He is now 18 months old and we have been here for 21 weeks (I think). Anyway when we came out our baby came on a visitor visa and we applied for his PR once we got here. It was a very straight forward process. Filled the forms in and took them to immigration, then we received a letter to make appt for his medical (very basic). We then received a letter from immigration a couple of weeks ago now saying that he had his PR!!!!

We were told that it was fairly straight forward as he was just 'an add on' (even tho he does have a medical condition).

The process from start to finish took 8 weeks which apparently was longer than normal due to his medical condition.

It is a very easy process although what I would say is that if you apply for it here then they charge you slightly more than if you apply for it in the UK (something to do with the fact that your already here). Not sure if the same charges would apply if you had the baby here!!

Hope this helps and if I can help more then just let me know. Good luck!!

Deb xx

Archived