India - 5 popular Myths

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Myth 1: India is a place of poverty and desperation

Reality:

It is ironic that India, once considered a land of milk and honey and fought over by various invaders over hundreds of years, is now perceived as a land gripped by poverty. In India today there are more millionaires per capita than many first world countries, as well as a large middle class. The economy is booming. While there is a segment of the populace that lives below the poverty line, this is mainly urban poverty which is a result of the huge influx of people moving into cities and towns for work and insufficient infrastructure being available to cope with this.

It is a monumental challenge for the government, which is doing everything possible to improve infrastructure and provide free primary education. It is difficult for people who have grown up in a first world economy to understand how people in India with relatively poor living standards can be happy and content without designer handbags, morning lattes and fine dining. However, the fact is Indians in general are very accepting of their situation due in part to their strong religious beliefs.

Myth 2: India is all about Bollywood and ashrams

Reality:

Far from it. India mesmerises with its diversity, pageantry and colour. Goa alone promises travellers an exciting and diverse experience. Occupied by the Portuguese until the late 1960s, this tourist hotspot features an eclectic mix of culture and religion including both Christianity and Hinduism, temples and churches, Indo-Portuguese architecture and food (it’s the birthplace of vindaloo) plus 125 km of coastline full of white sandy beaches.

Kerala is another diverse state where travellers can unleash their inner adventurer and go white water rafting, mountain climbing or take a challenging trek. Alternatively, there are few better ways to relax than by cruising its backwaters on traditional houseboats or experiencing the ancient form of healing known as Ayurveda, which is widely practised in Kerala. India is also famous for its abundance of natural wildlife including elephants, deer and monkeys. It’s also renowned for its tiger reserves like Kanha National Park and its luxury train journeys including Maharajas’ Express and Royal Rajasthan on Wheels.

Myth 3: The locals worship cows

Reality:

Some people believe cows are worshipped in India, but a visitor is unlikely to encounter any local Hindus falling to their knees at the sight of a bovine. Reverence takes a different form on the Subcontinent. The large beasts wander freely through crowded streets. When one plants itself in the middle of a busy intersection, the traffic adapts. It’s difficult enough being a passenger in a rickshaw at the best of times, not least when you swerve to avoid a stationary cow. But for those looking for a cultural experience that is slightly more familiar, McDonalds in India doesn’t serve beef in their burgers — the Chicken Maharaja-Mac is an adequate Big Mac replacement.

Visitors will find that worship in India is not about singing from the pews or lying prostrate before an unforgiving cow. People’s unassuming respect for the animal only adds a little spice to the chaos in India. It might be unpalatable to begin with, but as your tolerance grows, it only becomes more fun.

Myth 4: The weather is always hot and rainy

Reality:

India is a big country and it’s easy for everyone to assume that the whole country is hot through limited depictions.

There are some contrasting climates from the deserts of Rajasthan to the Himalayas, the hill stations to the coastal regions, and warm waters perfect for swimming. North India goes through all four seasons, from a hot summer to a cold winter. We get snow in places like Kashmir and Shimla and even have ski resorts like Gulmarg in Jammu and Kashmir.

The rains come at the end of June early July and finish towards the middle of September. It is not a cold bitter rain but more like a tropical rainfall. Travel to Kerala in September and the whole state is green. While the summers from March to June are hot and humid, the post monsoon season from October to February is cool and comfortable and is the best time to visit the country.

Myth 5: All dishes are curry-based

Reality:

The history of food in India is as old as history itself. One should see it personally to understand that Indians, by and large, love their food. It is interesting to note that each region of India has some speciality or another when it comes to their food. Curry is one of the many dishes that Indians make in their homes and also in the Indian restaurants. But it’s wrong to say that all food or dishes in India are curry-based.

There are other dishes too, such as potatoes and fenugreek leaves, mushroom and pea, spinach and cheese, as well as lentil soup, which are all vegetarian dishes. In these there are no curry-based spices required. In addition, there is Tandoori chicken, prawns, fish and lamb which are marinated in herbs and spices and then cooked in a tandoor.

Guest AKA63029

Very true Kate. But the roadside vendors still insist their 'bottled' water was made at the factory and the 'recapping' machine behind the market stall is for decoration only.:frown:

Hi I am going on holiday in January to Kerala with my husband. I'm a little nervous because I've never been to. India before. looking forward to trying different food. have you any recommendations about were its best to eat to a try and avoid tummy upsets, and where is the safest place to buy water from. We are also going onto a houseboat for a night in the backwaters. Jill

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi I am going on holiday in January to Kerala with my husband. I'm a little nervous because I've never been to. India before. looking forward to trying different food. have you any recommendations about were its best to eat to a try and avoid tummy upsets, and where is the safest place to buy water from. We are also going onto a houseboat for a night in the backwaters. Jill

Oh Jill it sounds like you are going to have a fantastic time, hopefully some of our members can give you more info.

Guest AKA63029

Hi Jill.

Firstly you WILL have a great time, never been to Kerala but have been to many other places, mostly off the beaten track though. The people are friendly and welcoming and always have a smile on their faces.

All I can say reference the water Jill is try and buy from hotels, and supermarkets, but it would be a rarity to avoid Delhi Belly to a degree. Take some imodium, and use as necessary, but try not to overdose as it can have the opposite effect and bung you up as well. Electrolyte drinks are also a great idea, get your vitamins and chemicals back into your body quick sharpish after a bout of diarrhea.

This all sound like doom and gloom Jill, it's not meant to be, but you 'may' suffer from Delhi Belly and best be prepared. Sip water often and keep hydrated and you will have one great holiday.

Cheers Tony.

Hi Jill, I hope you enjoy your trip to Kerala. Its a beautiful place. Bottled water is freely available. From railway staions, supermarkets, roadside shops. make sure it has its seal on. If you are in a restaurant and bottled water isnt available they usually served hot boiled water which may have a reddish tinge as its boiled with a bark of a wood -- called karingaali water. Should be safe if its boiled well. Regards to food generally the food will be safe from a good restaurant and even some roadside 'thattu kada' where they prepare food in front of your eyes. One cause of tummy upset is eating spicy food that one is not accustomed to. If you do get diarrhoea and tummy ache and its more likely to be bacterial so dont hesitate in taking antimicrobials like Tinidazole.

PM me if you need any more info.

Archived