Singapore Airlines closes self check in

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

SINGAPORE Airlines (SIA) has done away with its self-service check-in kiosks in Changi Airport, citing low usage as the reason.

Its customers will now have to stand in line at its counters or use the Internet or mobile check-in.

The 24 kiosks, which were provided by ground-handling firm Sats, allowed passengers to pick their seats and print their boarding passes.

But customers of airlines such as Cathay Pacific, Air France/KLM, Delta Air Lines and United Airlines can still use the kiosks.

Guest AKA63029

I'm always fairly surprised Kate at the numbers of people who still use the old system (over counter).

I admit it can be a bit off putting at first, new fangled ideas and all that, but it is so much easier and convenient.

I guess it's a little like the 'self service' at Tesco etc. Took ages for it to catch on, but now loads use it. I know it's a bit different, after all if you don't scan a bag of sugar it doesn't have the same impact as getting on a plane to Afghanistan instead of Australia.:laugh:

But even today very few 'older' people use the self serve in supermarkets. I would imagine if a few more airline staff were at hand (not at Tesco) to hold a hand then 'maybe' more people may use it.

Cheers Tony.

Wow, bit of a step backwards! At US airports I've always had to self check-in, there's generally no choice in the matter, but it's easy. Not quite the same, but I'll never forget the line at Las Vegas airport for Southwest Airlines. We stood for maybe half an hour without moving when someone came in imploring customers to try the 'skycap', aka kerbside check in. Well, we did try it and were checked in within 5 minutes - no queue. I'll bet plenty in that queue inside missed their flights!

Guest The Pom Queen
queue for self-check in, then queue for bag drop never made sense to me. much prefer to queue the once and deal with a human.

Thankfully I've never had to queue at bag drop off, I have never used the SS kiosks but do check in online. I was quite shocked that Virgin A didn't have online check in from Cairns to Singy

Guest guest36187

Always used Internet or self check ins. The queues for bag drop for Internet checking are usually a hel of a lot shorter. There are separate lines for Internet check in at brissie

Never get queues when you're travelling first class. If only I could afford it :biggrin:

To be honest, my preference has always been self-service / internet check-in for ages. But since we've been travelling with an infant queuing for a desk is the only way to be 100% sure you get a bassinet seat.

Archived