Cancelling UK mobile contracts.

Guest WillieM

Guest WillieM

Has anybody been in the situation of having taken out a mobile phone on contract and the deciding to immigrate to Oz. Well I did. I tried to cancel the contract with O2 and was told that it would cost me £450. Thinking of doing a runner........

Anybody had that experience?

Hiya WillieM

i had a contract phone from 02 which ran out in January

We left to come to oz in December. we had given them the required notice that we did not want to renew the contract ( phoned and wrote a letter). The bill for January came which we thought was the final one.

Then in febuary - another bill ( no call costs just connection charge)

We phoned again and they said they did not get the notice and we had to do it again. After banging my head against a brick wall I agreed to pay the feb bill and sent them another letter.

March came and another bill

April came and another bill - Which part of this dont they understand ?

They are now gathering dust in my drawer

Guest Missiemo

Well we are due to sent our letter today to cancel, I will also email them and send the letter by recorded delivery, let them get out of that one,

:twisted:

• 1 month later...
Guest paulwbafc

pass the phone onto a relation you can trust who may need one. i passed a phone onto my brother in law as he couldnt get a contract phone and he pays it himself. My other contract runs out before i go to aus

Guest spray21

If you're within the 12 months then your best bet is passing it on to someone else, as suggested above. £450 seems an awful lot - would it be cheaper to just pay the monthly charge?

When I cancel my contract (well past it's 12 months, fortunately) then I will be giving my notice and then cancelling my direct debit! If they quibble, then tough luck, as I will be on the other side of the world!! ;)

Guest Nelson

There seems to be a lot of ambiguity when it comes to scarpering.. On another forum I read a thread that basically said that you start all over again in OZ (in relation to credit referencing). I can't believe that in this day of technology that people wouldn't be easily traced through people like Equifax and Experian. Personally, I would settle all your dues before you leave the U.K. as you never know when these things will come back to haunt you. Wouldn't it be crap if you were refused a mortgage because of an unpaid bill of £450 :!: I'd be interested to see what other people think :roll:

One thing is sure getting credit in Oz is easy. From my experience they don't check your uk crdentials. I applied for a credit card and got a huge limit no questions asked, have had no problem with getting a phone or anything else either.

Having just been approved for a mortage that was no problem either, the basics are just ensure yo have a good employment history in your chosen field and can prove this by past employers and are not on probabtion and all seems hunky dory!

All this within 6 months or arriving...:D

Guest ABCDiamond

Wouldn't it be crap if you were refused a mortgage because of an unpaid bill of £450 :!: I'd be interested to see what other people think :roll:
Another consideration is if you didn't pay it, and had to return to the UK !! Your UK credit rating would be a disaster.

Guest spray21

Although £450 is a crazy amount to pay for a phone that you don't want you may just have to pay it if you are tied in to the contract.

It isn't very much to pay if not paying it might cause serious problems for you in the future. (Does that make sense?!)

Guest mandymoo

I've got my mobile contract cancelled yesterday with Vodafone and was told it was £50.00 cancellation fee as I had 3 months left on my contract. I jumped up and down and stamped my feet, asked to speak to a supervisor who phoned me back a bit later. I explained that I was emigrating and couldn't of been more helpful. I said that if the wanted the £50.00 they would have to chase me for it - he agreed with me and waived the cancellation fee!!!! I also said that I was a Vodafone shareholder and was not happy with the service I was receiving, so maybe that helped a bit as well.

Darren

Archived