In a very frustrating position!!!!

Guest JJ

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone else was in the terribly frustrating position where they have visas, have a job to go to and can't sell the house in the UK! We've had to take the decision now that my husband is going out ahead of us next month and I will stay in the UK with the kids until the house sells and then follow on. Have thought about renting out but quite honestly we need the money tied up in the house to make the move, and it's a bit too far away to sort out tennant problems.

Don't want to sound like a moaning minny but the initial euphoria at getting our visas has fizzled out and now we feel like we're stuck in limbo land.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Guest ABCDiamond

I moved out here before we sold the house, just left it in the hands of agents and a solicitor with power of attorney.

If it is financiable do-able, it may be worth consideration ?

Guest PlatOz
Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone else was in the terribly frustrating position where they have visas, have a job to go to and can't sell the house in the UK! We've had to take the decision now that my husband is going out ahead of us next month and I will stay in the UK with the kids until the house sells and then follow on. Have thought about renting out but quite honestly we need the money tied up in the house to make the move, and it's a bit too far away to sort out tennant problems.

Don't want to sound like a moaning minny but the initial euphoria at getting our visas has fizzled out and now we feel like we're stuck in limbo land.

HI,

We were in the same boat as you are over 3 years ago. House on market, had visa for a month, I went out before my wife to sort out the Oz end while she tied up the U.K end which is probably the best way to do it. We had a buyer and all was going well until the buyers surveyer found a problem in our loft in the house in the U.K. To cut a very long story short they pulled out of the sale because the survey picked up that the owner before I moved into my old house in 2000 cut all of the trusses out of my roof and the building was said to be unsound. This house was only 10 years old and our survey when we moved in did not pick this up.

To cut the story down even more to keep it short, we had quotes up to 100,000 pounds to repair the roof and we had to take the house off the market while we were in Aus and have the whole roof taken off in winter time and then put back on the market all the time trying to get people to cut the lawns and keep the house tidy etc.

We were not able to start our business in Oz because we needed the capitol of the house sale, and after 18 months later I had to fly back to England on my own and live in my empty house in a sleepingbag for 3 weeks to sell my house as the agents were so crap and simple things like the gardener not cutting the grass for 3 months even though I was paying for this guy to cut it every week. I could not believe the state of my house when I arrived back, it was perfect when i left and having the builders crap in the garden left after the roof was taken off with long grass you can see why it did not sell.

We had to re advertise the house and reduce the price heaps because the loft conversion was now turned back into a normal loft. I sold the house after I attended to all of the mess in 10 days.

Does not stop there, we are still suing the original lawyer for duty of care and we have a court date soon but the whole nightmare has lasted over 3 years. They are trying to settle out of court now but I am playing hard ball as 3 years of expenses over here,loosing the value of the house due to the roof is mounting up very nicely and after waiting 3 years I can let them wait a while.

You can all wake up now, probably bored you all to death. :wink:

Tony

Guest Michelle f
Hi everyone,

Hi jj we are in exactly the same boat.Visas at the ready, but cant sell the house .It is so frustrating .I thought house sale would be going through.flights would be booked and organising our leaving do!!!! How wrong was I :shock: . I know it will happen but its the waiting.

Goodluck with your house and keep me updated.

Michelle :D

Guest Nelson

If you get really desparate, there are companies who buy your house off you for slightly less than the asking price.. might be worth trawling the net and getting someone round...

We did look into the companies that buy your house off you in a hurry but they were offering £50K below the market value. I don't think we're being greedy but that seems a last resort to us.

We'll just stick it out I guess. At least if my husband goes out first he can get a few things going before we arrive - maybe not such a bad idea to do it this way around.

Thanks for the thought though.

Best wishes,

JJ

Hi JJ

I know how you feel. We have had our visas for nearly 3 months and have only just recieved an offer on the house. The waiting was driving me mad, it is worse than waiting to hear if you are getting the visas or not. Fingers crossed the sale will go through and we will be leaving the wonderful UK at the end of June.

I'm sure you will sell soon , best of luck

Anita :):):)

Guest Beki

What nightmares! I thought the hard bit was waiting for the visa, not so in some cases. Platoz, your situation was/is terrible I hope you nail them!

Oh well, thanks for the warning! :evil:

Archived