I need some help please!!??

lillystar26

Hi, I need some help getting my head round all this, there is so much to take in... :arghh:

We are looking to move to oz via my husband receiving sponsorship (currently applying for jobs) we have 3 young children - 4,2 and 10 months. I have a million questions but if someone could answer a few i would be so grateful, so here goes.....

1. once a visa (assuming 457) is granted, what happens then?? eg. do we have to go straight away? does it run out? and do I have to apply for my own visa??

2. Do we have to pay for schooling for the children on a 457 visa??

3. Do we have to pay for doctors etc???

4. what are the major disadvantages on going on this visa???

6. is there anything else i should know???

Thanks in advance

Vix

:wubclub:

You and the children would be included as secondary applicants on your husband's 457 visa. You will have full work rights.

Cost of education on a 457 visa varies in the different states.

UK citizens have reciprocal health cover with Australia, which covers you to the same level as the locals for any treatment that's necessary before expiry of your visa, but no elective procedures, and it's a grey area as to what's considered elective.

Major disadvantages are that it's not a permanent visa and there is no guarantee of a permanent visa at the end of it. you may have issues with getting credit cards, loans etc. You will also only have 28days to leave the country or find another sponsor if your husband's employment goes belly up for whatever reason.

You and the children would be included as secondary applicants on your husband's 457 visa. You will have full work rights.

Cost of education on a 457 visa varies in the different states.

UK citizens have reciprocal health cover with Australia, which covers you to the same level as the locals for any treatment that's necessary before expiry of your visa, but no elective procedures, and it's a grey area as to what's considered elective.

Major disadvantages are that it's not a permanent visa and there is no guarantee of a permanent visa at the end of it. you may have issues with getting credit cards, loans etc. You will also only have 28days to leave the country or find another sponsor if your husband's employment goes belly up for whatever reason.

Thanks alot for that. what age do they start school from??? and have u any rough idea about the costs??? paying for 3 children to go to school might cripple us :cry:

Thanks alot for that. what age do they start school from??? and have u any rough idea about the costs??? paying for 3 children to go to school might cripple us :cry:

After 2 years your husbands company could sponsor you for PR, then you wouldnt have to pay fees, if you live in fee paying state.

But it really depends which state that you go to.

Hi Vix

Big headdoer in isn't it lol but it will calm down eventually. :wubclub:

Hi, I need some help getting my head round all this, there is so much to take in... :arghh:

We are looking to move to oz via my husband receiving sponsorship (currently applying for jobs) we have 3 young children - 4,2 and 10 months. I have a million questions but if someone could answer a few i would be so grateful, so here goes.....

1. once a visa (assuming 457) is granted, what happens then?? eg. do we have to go straight away? does it run out? and do I have to apply for my own visa??

There are a few posts on time scales of 457 visas. http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/104999-457-processing-times.html I haunted them all when we began this nutty process. However long it takes it will feel twice as much!!! For us it took 4 months from our employer applying to sponsor an overseas employee. I think I'm right in saying you then have a year to use it but don't quote me. We were off 10 days after getting the golden ticket! You and the kids come under your husbands visa. Dependant on where you go you can apply for PR from 1 year of entering on a 457.

2. Do we have to pay for schooling for the children on a 457 visa??

This site should help you out.... http://www.aussieeducator.org.au/education/financial/fees.html My youngest starts Kindy in Feb so I'll have two at school and I'll be paying roughly $600 for the year for both. We are Perth, WA. This site will tell you when your kids start school which is later than in the UK. http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/ece/calculator.html

3. Do we have to pay for doctors etc???

As Rock says there is a reciprocal agreement which allows us to access the Australian healthcare system in the same way as an Aussie BUT it doesn't cover some things we consider basic such as calling an ambulance which in most States (but not all) you would be charged for. It also doesn't cover dentistry which is VERY expensive. You would want to take out extra private insurance to cover the gaps and there are many companies that do this. We use Medibank but you'll find lots of suggestions on here. To cover 5 adults and 2 children we pay $167 a month.

4. what are the major disadvantages on going on this visa???

Its not permanent but it did get us here quickly and we will be applying for PR early next year. We haven't found it to be a hindrance in getting a CC but we purposely haven't wanted to use financing for anything else as yet. It does also tie you to the same employer for the length of your visa so its important to do your research on them and appropriate salary and rights before you get here.

6. is there anything else i should know???

You'll be spending alot of time on PIO asking questions and reading posts :chatterbox: Your sleep patterns will be completely whacky :SLEEP: And at times you feel completely :arghh: :wacko: But in the end you will be :cool::wubclub:

Do you know where you want to head to yet?

Hi Vix

Big headdoer in isn't it lol but it will calm down eventually. :wubclub:

Do you know where you want to head to yet?

Thanks alot for that guys....yeah I dont know where to start...we wanted to head to brisbane but the job my hubby is applying for is in perth.

regarding the visa running out, i kinda meant once granted do you have a certain time to leave the uk before its no longer valid??? (we have a house to put on the market and sell first...

vix

I think the limiting factor on a 457 is when the employer wants you to start rather than there being an "enter by" date on the visa.

Has the employer mentionned sponsorship for a permanent visa? might be worth discussing with them. I would think twice about selling a house before you have a permanent visa. (well unless you hate the area and would definitely not move back to it if things go pear shaped in Australia)

I think the limiting factor on a 457 is when the employer wants you to start rather than there being an "enter by" date on the visa.

Has the employer mentionned sponsorship for a permanent visa? might be worth discussing with them. I would think twice about selling a house before you have a permanent visa. (well unless you hate the area and would definitely not move back to it if things go pear shaped in Australia)

The thing with a 457 is that the employer probably needs that employee quite quickly. Well that's the theory hence its a quick entry visa in most cases.

Have you considered renting your house out?

Hi we have but i don't think that the rent would cover the mortgage cost plus landlord fees etc... plus we haven't got any savings either :( :cry:

Well renting out is not an option then, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, just means that if Australia doesn't work out for whatever reason, you'll have the freedom to look for jobs wherever, rather than tying yourselves to the house.

I would definitely look into getting yourselves a permanent visa as soon as you can. Perth is now considered a regional area, so it might be worth suggesting to the employer that you get a RSMS (857 - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/rsms/) rather than a 457 (or the permanent 856 visa if you qualify - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/ens/). The worst that can happen is they say no, just the 457, and at least then you'll know where you stand.

Hi we have but i don't think that the rent would cover the mortgage cost plus landlord fees etc... plus we haven't got any savings either :( :cry:

Don't lose heart Vix :hug: If its meant to happen you'll find a way! We rented in the UK so didn't have that problem but we had no savings except what we could cobble together in four months and its all good! Good luck :wubclub:

Well renting out is not an option then, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, just means that if Australia doesn't work out for whatever reason, you'll have the freedom to look for jobs wherever, rather than tying yourselves to the house.

I would definitely look into getting yourselves a permanent visa as soon as you can. Perth is now considered a regional area, so it might be worth suggesting to the employer that you get a RSMS (857 - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/rsms/) rather than a 457 (or the permanent 856 visa if you qualify - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/ens/). The worst that can happen is they say no, just the 457, and at least then you'll know where you stand.

Don't lose heart Vix :hug: If its meant to happen you'll find a way! We rented in the UK so didn't have that problem but we had no savings except what we could cobble together in four months and its all good! Good luck :wubclub:

do you think we would be better to sell our house first then start applying for jobs??? this might take forever though. :no: It will definately be worth discussing those visa's, as we are a bit worried about going on a temporary visa as we will be uprooting our 3 young children.

Have you any idea how likely it is that we would get a perm visa after the 2 years???

Angie - How much did you take with you??? as flights would cost us between £2 & 3000...

plus we would have other costs such as rentals etc...

thanks

vix :wub:

DH had a job to go to (hence the 457) and started within a week of landing so we knew we had a weekly wage coming in. They tend to pay you either weekly or fortnightly here which IMO is great :biggrin:

We bought 3500GBP with us after saving the little that we could and then selling stuff we weren't bringing over. BUT we were lucky in that employers paid the bond and first 8 weeks rent on our rental. We also had a friend to stay with for the first two weeks. We don't live the high life but we do live a good life. No new car or finance for instance. We bought anything we needed off Gumtree and picked up the van from a returning backpacker who needed to get rid quick! :wink:

We spend weekends exploring new beaches and parks and there is a street festival or event every weekend, more than one actually.... makes it difficult to choose!!!!

Have you checked out the possibility of renting out your house? You might be surprised at what rental you could command. Would it be possible to ask a family member or friend to oversee it for a while? I know a couple of people here who have done it that way.

If you have a wanted skill you might find that you'll get a visa quite quickly. I'm not too up on that but I did see someone on here who applied and was granted on the same day... he was a hairdresser. Unless he was fibbing through his teeth :wideeyed: Then you could take your time with the move....

We wanted to get here quickly tho mainly to give our older ones some opportunities as they were struggling with work in our area.

DH had a job to go to (hence the 457) and started within a week of landing so we knew we had a weekly wage coming in. They tend to pay you either weekly or fortnightly here which IMO is great :biggrin:

We bought 3500GBP with us after saving the little that we could and then selling stuff we weren't bringing over. BUT we were lucky in that employers paid the bond and first 8 weeks rent on our rental. We also had a friend to stay with for the first two weeks. We don't live the high life but we do live a good life. No new car or finance for instance. We bought anything we needed off Gumtree and picked up the van from a returning backpacker who needed to get rid quick! :wink:

We spend weekends exploring new beaches and parks and there is a street festival or event every weekend, more than one actually.... makes it difficult to choose!!!!

Have you checked out the possibility of renting out your house? You might be surprised at what rental you could command. Would it be possible to ask a family member or friend to oversee it for a while? I know a couple of people here who have done it that way.

It would takes us forever just to get £3500 plus pay for flights although selling our clutter would help lol. Thats really good that your employers paid for some of your rent. hope we can get a similar deal.

Stuarts job is a fitter working with caterpillar diesel engines. we cant get a skilled visa because he hasnt got any qualifications in this field :(

We will look into renting the house out as it would only be till we got a perm visa anyway probably because we are hoping to be able to settle in oz properly.

To be completely honest the quickness of the 457 visa's kinda scares me a little bit...We have to decorate our house up either way so will have to do that first then look at moving. I think realistically we wont be able to move before march at the earliest.

I'm thinking May might be the best time for us although thats only 6months away :huh:

Thankyou again for answering my million questions lol

No worries :wink:

Its the great thing about the forum...there's always someone to talk to :wubclub:

Hi a few more questions if you dont mind...

did you ship anything over?? how much did it cost if so?

if you didnt how did you find that because i noticed you have a 3yr old??

How much rent do you pay? and what size of house have you got for that?

I just want to say I admire you having 6 children...I have 3 and its hard work although there is only 3yrs 2 months between the oldest and youngest

What sort of job does your dh do? is he enjoying working in oz??? do you have a better way of life???

vix

Hi a few more questions if you dont mind...

did you ship anything over?? how much did it cost if so?

if you didnt how did you find that because i noticed you have a 3yr old??

How much rent do you pay? and what size of house have you got for that?

I just want to say I admire you having 6 children...I have 3 and its hard work although there is only 3yrs 2 months between the oldest and youngest

What sort of job does your dh do? is he enjoying working in oz??? do you have a better way of life???

vix

you can check out the rent at this webpage: http://www.realestate.com.au/rent

so far i found it really useful...

Archived