Carseat wake-up call

jamesnparry

Hi Guys

As a parent of a 3 year old and 5 year old, I and my husband are guilty of wanting to simplify our carseats as soon as is legally compliant. We have been discussing what to do about car seats when we emigrate from the UK next year. I looked at the Trunki brand's latest offering called the BoostApak and thought it would be ideal.....

Started researching, it isn't compliant with OZ safety regulations and then... came across these two videos - please take time to watch them, they've given me a real wake up call....

Also bear in mind that most people on here say that OZ drivers are worse than the UK's.

Let's not scrimp and take risks. Lets get the best seats we can find.

Safe travels everyone.

Ann

I'd use a proper forward facing car seat for as long as possible. With a 5 point harness for as long as you are able.

Aussie regs are very different to UK/EU ones so doing research is imperative.

The Trunki or any sit on car seat booster (without a back) are well dodgy and are being phased out for sale both here and in Aus. I'd never put my child in a sit on booster with an adult seatbelt ever. Not at all good in event of an accident.

Hi Guys

As a parent of a 3 year old and 5 year old, I and my husband are guilty of wanting to simplify our carseats as soon as is legally compliant. We have been discussing what to do about car seats when we emigrate from the UK next year. I looked at the Trunki brand's latest offering called the BoostApak and thought it would be ideal.....

Started researching, it isn't compliant with OZ safety regulations and then... came across these two videos - please take time to watch them, they've given me a real wake up call....

Also bear in mind that most people on here say that OZ drivers are worse than the UK's.

Let's not scrimp and take risks. Lets get the best seats we can find.

Safe travels everyone.

Ann

Got this email from the Trunki people today...

"BoostApak hasn't been tested against Australian standards; the reason being is that we were aware that in Australia booster seats are not preferred - those car seats/boosters with high backs and side-impact protection will soon be the norm. We are developing the BoostApak over the next few months so it may be that a future version of BoostApak may meet requirements…we hope so!"

I'm looking into this as my 4.5 year old is just nudging 18kg. In theory, I should now remove the 5 point harness which holds her in nice and secure and just wrap the adult seat belt around the booster seat and allow her to flap around willy nilly. But it just doesn't seem secure in any way. So I started to look into the 5 points harnesses you can get for children over 18kg, but then read this on the Vicroads website which seems to recommend against them, saying the adult seat belt is better!

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/SafetyAndRules/SaferVehicles/ChildRestraints/ChildSafetyHarnesses.htm

and then I also read this;

http://www.infa-secure.com.au/files/pdf/Child_Safety_Harnesses_Report.pdf

which seems to report no better safety with a 5 point harness than an adult seat belt, and due to the high potential of fitting it incorrectly, worse safety overall. But it doesn't seem to take into account the increase potential for the child no to always sit up straight in an adult seat belt, ie to fall asleep, take an arm out, slide down etc.

Got this email from the Trunki people today...

"BoostApak hasn't been tested against Australian standards; the reason being is that we were aware that in Australia booster seats are not preferred - those car seats/boosters with high backs and side-impact protection will soon be the norm. We are developing the BoostApak over the next few months so it may be that a future version of BoostApak may meet requirements…we hope so!"

They won't meet the Aussie standards unless the car seat is fully tested and deemed to have passed all the requirements. Somehow I can't see a version of their seat on the Aus market anytime soon as the top tether aspect plays a huge part in the design and testing of Aussie car seats. The R&D alone would probably outweigh the profits for them in the long run. The Trunki car seat really isn't something for every day use IMO. It might be just about ok for occasional use at a pinch but I'd never want my son to sit on one every day in our car. Well, I'd never get one for him ever but there, that is me.

I'm looking into this as my 4.5 year old is just nudging 18kg. In theory, I should now remove the 5 point harness which holds her in nice and secure and just wrap the adult seat belt around the booster seat and allow her to flap around willy nilly. But it just doesn't seem secure in any way. So I started to look into the 5 points harnesses you can get for children over 18kg, but then read this on the Vicroads website which seems to recommend against them, saying the adult seat belt is better!

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/SafetyAndRules/SaferVehicles/ChildRestraints/ChildSafetyHarnesses.htm

First off, what type of car seat is she in? Make and model would be good :) What weight/height is it suitable up to also.

Archived