New and going to Australia Solo!

chrissy23

Hey Everyone,

I just recently started the application process to move to Oz. Im a primary teacher and so am having to apply for SS to SA. I have dreamt of moving to Australia since I was a little girl and cant believe I am now doing it. Problem is I am going alone! Very nervous about making such a big move solo :(

Just wondering if there is anyone with any advice or similar experiences etc

I ideally wanted to wait a few more years to make the move (I am only 23) but with the application process always changing and the declining need for primary teachers , this is now my only chance.

Slightly worried about leaving a permanent job that I love and all my family and friends - just because I have this dream!

Australia is an amazing country - just hope I am doing the right thing!

Anyone who can give me some support/advice please reply not sure that many people make the move alone.

Hey Everyone,

I just recently started the application process to move to Oz. Im a primary teacher and so am having to apply for SS to SA. I have dreamt of moving to Australia since I was a little girl and cant believe I am now doing it. Problem is I am going alone! Very nervous about making such a big move solo :(

I ideally wanted to wait a few more years to make the move (I am only 23) but with the application process always changing and the declining need for primary teachers , this is now my only chance.

Slightly worried about leaving a permanent job that I love and all my family and friends - just because I have this dream!

Anyone who can give me some support/advice please reply not sure that many people make the move alone.

Indeed, Chrissy ! You have made the right move and very soon when would have flew here downunder, you would share the similar thought.

Well, I had moved down here when I was 22, and I quite agree with your concerns about moving alone to a new place. But, trust me time is the biggest answer. And I must say we all dream but only a few of us have the courage to chase our dreams. I appreciate when you say you want to live your dream.

Australia is an amazing country, no doubt about it, the sunshine, the beaches the laidback approach to life (well, not all of us have this), the food, been in love with this for the last six years that I have spent in this beautiful country.

And nevertheless, can assure you of all the people I have come across who are employed as teachers here, it is one of the most secure jobs we have down here. So its better you are starting young and opportunities are unlimited.

Please share your experiences when you finally get to make your move here and also wish you, your share of luck with your application.

Thank you Yash, Sometimes I get the wobbles and wonder if it is the right thing but I dont want to regret not chasing my dream. I would rather regret the things that I do rather than the things that I dont - just scared and nervous.

Fingers crossed!

Thank you Yash, Sometimes I get the wobbles and wonder if it is the right thing but I dont want to regret not chasing my dream. I would rather regret the things that I do rather than the things that I dont - just scared and nervous.

Fingers crossed!

My Pleasure, Chrissy !!! Just keep us posted though how things shape up :)

Guest SandandDirt

You will be fine.

This is my 1st post even though I have been watching for some time.

Been here for about 5 years now and have my ups and down with home sickness, but just seeing the sea and feeling the sun keeps me going.

Good luck

Hey Everyone,

Sorry can't give you any advice, yet, but don't worry you're not alone (so to speak) about making the move by yourself. I hope to be out there early next year and I'm going by myself and I've had exactly the same worries about leaving friends, family etc but it's something I need to do and if it all goes wrong I can always come back to the UK.

If I get out there before you I'll try to give you all the advice I can.

Good luck

Hey Everyone,

During the late 50s and 60s, there were many young people doing that on their own, me included. It was a new life we were coming out to and such an adventure.

I'm sure you will make a success of it:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

I've been an expat for 9 years and Australia is the third country that I've lived in those 9 years. I've always moved on my own and have had no regrets about any of my moves - if anything, I've become a much stronger person and have made so many great friends along the way.

The first time I moved, I was only 20!! It is hard at the beginning to leave family and friends and the life that you are used to but the experience makes it so so worthwhile and with technology, you can always keep in contact with everyone that you know at home. Plus, it makes holidays so much more interesting when everyone comes to visit.

I would say to go for it. In the end, if you don't like it, you can always go home but you won't have the regret of asking yourself 'what if'. Australia is brilliant though and I'm sure you'll love it. :)

the primary school year starts in January and runs through the calendar year till Dec; unlike the UK where the new school yr begins mid yr after the summer break. You may want to investigate work vacancies quite soon to shore up a position to start Jan 2012. I have family in this industry and whilst he has a number of employment options these vacancies don't begin until term 1 in Jan. just a thought; good luck.

Archived