Any advice on the Forde area?

Guest leedslad

Guest leedslad

Well, with just over three weeks to go before I move from Leeds, to Canberra, my partner has managed to find a house for us to rent in Forde :biggrin:

I don't know a great deal about the areas in Canberra, even though Liz has been there 6 months and I visited earlier this year, but, it looks like it'll be quite a nice location as I have two dogs flying over and it appears there's plenty of grassland and ponds nearby to be able to walk them (although I know I can't walk them on Mulligans Flat). Plus I enjoy getting out on my mountain bike so I can literally ride my bike out of the garage and straight into the nature reserve.

Would be nice to hear if anyone has any knowledge on the area that they might share?

Thanks

Paul

Hey Paul,

My wife and I live in Forde, and have 2 dog also. We absolutely love it here. Its a pretty special place because it is right on Mulligans Flat. The wildlife here is amazing. Most days, whilst out walking the dogs, we see kangaroos (early morning, evening). You will even see them grazing in peoples front yards, or hopping down the street. I never get tired of seeing them. Forde is also lucky that it has a dedicated dog park, which has all kinds of equipment such as tunnels and jumps. It's a very dog friendly neighborhood.

Canberra in general is really great for cycling, but here in Forde we have a cycle paths that go all the way down to Yerrabi Pond which is great for cycling around. Its also just a few minutes more to the Gungahlin Center, which I often do on my bike, just to grab coffee and lunch. Mulligans Flat is also a great place for cycling and hiking. There are several trails you can take and it's great exercise.

We were a little skeptical about Forde when we first move here, because it looked so far out there. However its only a 15/20 min drive into Canberra City. The houses are newer, and bigger, although people complain the land plot is too small, but there is plenty of room for the dogs, so it doesn't bother me too much.

They are just completing the Forde Shops at the minute. I think they will open in the next month or so. There will be a chinese restaurant, coffee shop, small grocers and a few others I think. It will make things a little more convenient.

Feel free to drop me a private email, I would be happy to give you any more information on the Forde area.

Mat

Guest leedslad

Hi Mat,

Thanks for the reply. I saw the pictures of the dog park on the Forde website and was more excited about that than anything else! The dogs will love it!

I shall drop you a private message and we can chat more.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the info above. We are in Ngunnawal and have two dogs and always after new places to take them now they have finally got here. Will have to nip over to Forde for a proper look.

Not sure if you have found it yet, but there is also a new dog park at the Springbank Rise Development near you. I believe it has 2 areas, one for large dogs, and one for small dogs.

Guest ralfjnr

We have just got back from Canberra and was looking at Forde, it really is something special.

The rents are fairly high though around this area, but the surrounds are fantastic

Good luck

Guest leedslad
We have just got back from Canberra and was looking at Forde, it really is something special.

The rents are fairly high though around this area, but the surrounds are fantastic

Good luck

Another Leeds-based PiO member! :biggrin:

Rental costs I found were actually cheaper in Forde than in areas such as Bruce, etc. My fiancee works at the AIS, so we wanted somewhere near for her commute to work, however we decided to go a bit further out for the lower rent... plus the surrounding areas are great for walking and biking etc.

When are you thinking of moving over?

Paul

Guest ralfjnr

Looking at April for a move (latest), as we are still waiting for our house to sell in Leeds, and need the cash for a deposit if we see a new home.

Do you have kids? because the 4 bed home we saw in Forde was around the $600 a week. The Town houses and apartments are a lot cheaper.

ps. Forde was our favourite area

Guest leedslad

We're paying about $500 a week for a three bedroomed house, but we don't have any kids.

I was in Canberra for a few weeks back in July and the weather was horrid... so I didn't see it at it's best to be fair. Looking forward to the move now though :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest beh1972

Forde is a great suburb and would love to live there. We're currently in Ngunnawal which is a few km's from it.

Very new, well planned with parks and greenspace.

• 1 month later...
Guest sarahefyoung

Hi!

We ve just got a house in Harrison which is nt far from Forde, we have 3 kids, liked Forde alot but the school in Harrison felt better so had to live in catchment, there are some lovely houses for rent in Forde so one day we may move there!!

Good luck!

Sarah

Archived