Passport Question

Becki

Hey everyone,

Just needed abit of advise re this.

My passport runs out in March 2013 so as there's only just over 12 months left when I fly to Oz in December I thought it would be better to renew my passport now then it's less hassle in future and i've heard it's really expensive to do when in Oz. So I going to send my passport off to the DIAC to get the visa put in but then I thought i may as well renew my passport and then send it off to get the visa in. BUT isn't the visa linked to your passport number?!? and when you renew your passport they take your old one off you don't they?

So just ensure what to do? Any help appreciated!

Also when you get your australian drivers license it is correct that they take that off you too? my drivers license runs out in 3 weeks so will have to renew this too!

Becki

Guest Guest31881
Hey everyone,

Just needed abit of advise re this.

My passport runs out in March 2013 so as there's only just over 12 months left when I fly to Oz in December I thought it would be better to renew my passport now then it's less hassle in future and i've heard it's really expensive to do when in Oz. So I going to send my passport off to the DIAC to get the visa put in but then I thought i may as well renew my passport and then send it off to get the visa in. BUT isn't the visa linked to your passport number?!? and when you renew your passport they take your old one off you don't they?

So just ensure what to do? Any help appreciated!

Also when you get your australian drivers license it is correct that they take that off you too? my drivers license runs out in 3 weeks so will have to renew this too!

Becki

Hi Becki,

It is cheaper to change your passport in the UK, they do not take your old one off you, you can inform DIAC that you have a new passport and have a lable fixed in the new one, some people carry both passports (old & New).

When you apply for your Australian Diving License they no longer take your UK license from you.

Thats great thanks for that.

So what you mean is that i should send the old one off to the DIAC first get the visa in it. Then apply for my new one and don't send the old passport back to the passport agency when they ask for it and then when recd send that back to the diac with my old one and get them to put a visa in the new one too???! seems abit long winded, is that right? x

You have to send your old passport off to get the new one. The passport agency will return it to you alongside the new one, with a corner cut off the old one to invalidate it.

You have to inform DIAC of your change in passport details. most visas are issued as e-visas these days, so they will update your details to associate the visa with your new passport. Getting the label put in is optional, but can help in certain circumstances, and means you don't have to carry your grant letter with you all the time.

Re the driving licence, you'll need a currently valid UK licence to get your australian licence. They don't take your UK one off you, but it is technically invalid since it doesn't have your current address on it, and you're not a UK resident. While you are resident in Australia, you should be using your australian licence to drive on, even if you visit the UK on holiday. Keep a note of your UK licence number. If you ever return to live in the UK, you just send in the change of address form and if it's been ten years since your last photo, the new photo details, and you'll get a new photocard sent to you.

Hi there, I have been following this thread as myself and my hubby are in a similar situation. Our visa application is due to submitted by our migration agent this week. When we sent all of our supporting documents in we sent copies of our current passports, which expire in July 2013 and are not electronic passports. A colleague of my husband's who is also going out to the same employer has just has his visa issued and has told us that his passport has been electronically 'visa'd' so to speak!! This put us in a bit of a panic as to whether we should update our passports now ready. I note however that you say that you need to contact the DIAC with the new passport details. This is going to sound really stupid, but what is the best way to do this - by phone, email etc etc and also is this going to be the best course of action or just cause confusion????

Sorry to sound really stupid - this whole process has come about so quickly and all of a sudden we are learning as we go!! In hindsight it would have been better to get new passports before we applied I guess but HO HUM!!!!!

Many thanks for any advice you can offer. Kara.:biggrin:

Guest guest59652

Major point is that your visa is based on your passport number - it is essential that you inform the australian authorities prior to changing the passport if you already have your visa granted.

Thanks for your advice - as our application is due to go in this week and has already had several hold-ups - would you suggest that we wait until (if!!!!) our visa's are granted and then contact the DIAC to advise them we are going to apply for new passports? My husband is planning on leaving the UK quite quickly after the visa being issued, with me staying in the UK to tie up all our loose ends - so we wouldn't want any delays at that point either??

To be quite honest I'd just go with the ones you've got and worry about changing them later whilst you're in Oz

It will cost you what? An extra $100 or so? It's not a massive amount in the scheme of things

Money well spent to avoid the hassle of trying to muck about IMO. What are your options?

a) Just submit the application now, go to Oz, and get a new passport when in Oz

b) Get a new passport now, which means delaying the application for a couple of weeks and by the sounds of it re-copying and re-certifying documents you've already sent over

c) Submit the application now and then apply for a new passport, hoping that you get the new ones and can tell DIAC the new numbers before they determine the application? What happens if they determine the application and you haven't got your new passports yet? More hassle to try and transfer the visa over to the new ones

It sounds like (from the talk of employer bringing people over) you're going on a 457, and these get determined quickly by DIAC

Sod that for a game of soldiers. I'd rather accept that I'll "waste" the cost of a night out in extra passport fees

fwiw my passport expires in Nov 2012 and I've taken option a)

:D

Guest guest59652

To be honest getting a new passport will put more brakes on your move. Key point is - you can sort a new passport out in Melbourne through the British embassy. It's advisable with all things passport related to do it within 6 months of the passport expiring. This will give you more chance of ensuring no problems in due course.

Thank you all so much for the advice - very much appreciated. We will certainly leave it until we get there (hoping that we do soooooo much!!!!) For the sake of $100 it does seem the more sensible option. I don't want to delay things if I can help it!!! Once again, thanks all for all of your help.

Archived