Nervous!

FlappyChicken

Hi All

Looking for some advice, as I am slight nervous and feel quite sick :( thinking about the future.

We are currently in Oz on a 457 sponsored by the company I work for. We reach our two year point in Feb 2012 of a four year visa. We have moved lockstock and barrel over from the UK, including the dogs.

I am about to start the process of applying for residency. I am particulary worried about the skills assessment side of the application.

I hold an IT Certification in SAP HR, a sought after skill in Austraila which brought us here in the first place. I also hold a qualification in core management in HR, I am a member of the Institute of Management and the Institute of Personnel Development in the UK both at assoicate level. I am in the process of apply for an advance diploma in management here in Austraila and also will become a member of the Australian Computer Society.

I did do a Post Grad Diploma in Human Resources Management but failed 3 exams and never got around to retaking them. Although I do have evidence of completing the course and study.

We are asking the Company two sponshor our residency and understand they can do this for us. As we will have two years workign for them and payslips and tax returns.

I am really nervous as previously said above that we may not got residency because the lack of a degree/education. Although I have 24 years of work experience 8 of which in the HM Forces.

Should I be worried that we may not get residency? Is there something else I can do? I believe we can renew our 457 towards the end of the 4 years. However I am worried about the age thing to we are 41 and 42. My wife works for a private hospital as a Medical Secretary does that count for anything.

I would hate to have to go back to the UK.

Thanks

If you've worked for your employer for 2 years on a 457 in an occupation that is on the ENSOL and they are willing to sponsor you for an 856 ENS visa, you will not need skills assessment. That is only required for points tested visas or for 856s when you haven't worked on a 457 for at least 2 years in an eligible occupation.

Note on the following list of 856 eligibility requirements where it says "You must also meet one of the following requirements:"

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/ens/eligibility-employee-subclass-856.htm

You're still well within the age range for an 856 so no problems on that score.

If you've worked for your employer for 2 years on a 457 in an occupation that is on the ENSOL and they are willing to sponsor you for an 856 ENS visa, you will not need skills assessment. That is only required for points tested visas or for 856s when you haven't worked on a 457 for at least 2 years in an eligible occupation.

Note on the following list of 856 eligibility requirements where it says "You must also meet one of the following requirements:"

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/ens/eligibility-employee-subclass-856.htm

You're still well within the age range for an 856 so no problems on that score.

Cool one of the requirements is to hold a 457 for 2 years so that is OK. Thanks for your help.

If we apply in February 2011 at which point do we get our Police Check (and where from?) and our Medical Checks?

When PR is granted do we lose our LAFHA as well? I suppose we do?!

Thanks

Because you're in Australia already and 856s don't take as long as a year, you could get your PCCs and medicals as soon as you apply though you will be told by your Case Officer when they are required if you haven't already submitted them. They usually ask for them a month or so before the visa isdue to be granted.

If you use an agent, you may be able to lodge a Decision Ready Checklist application (for faster processing) in which case you would need PCCs and medicals before lodging the application.

You'll need a police check from the Australian Federal Police and one from any country in which you've lived for 12 months or more during the last 10 years (after the age of 16). Here's a fact sheet on how and where to get them:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/character-requirements/character-penal.pdf

I don't know much about LAFHAs but I don't think PRs can use them.

Archived