Any advice on how to get a job?

Guest SophieJ

Sounds to me like people who are struggling for work are ones who want nice cushy office jobs in the big cities. Let's get real folks.

Exactly, I'm going for an interview tommorow to work in a Call Centre selling insurance. I don't want to do it, but you got to get over your pride.

Sure you'll get it dude phone sales is all about voice tone and believing in the product. Be keen keen keen!

Well that's the position I'm in. Just got to make the most of it. At least I'm still young enough to retrain.

If I was a plasterer, or a painter and decorator I could be earning $35/40 an hour! Incredible

Guest MouseyBrown

Obviously it would be nice to find a 'perfect' job in your chosen proffession as soon as you get here. But, really, if you want a job you can get one. It depends how much you want to stay out here. You said yourself you have chosen not to do certain jobs (call center work etc.), but why not do that until you find something you really want?

People say it's luck, who you know and being in the right place at the right time, but it's not! It's how much you want to stay in the country. I have been here only five weeks, in a hostel, and have seen two types of people........those willing to work and those who don't! I was getting cash work after a week, the girl I came here with had a bar job, a cleaning job and a nanny job within two weeks. Another mate who came out with us didn't find his dream job straight away, turned down '****ty' days work here and there, whilst complaining he can't find work, and went home.

All I'm saying is that work is easy to find, if your prepared to do something that isn't your ideal job. Nothing to do with luck. You can't complain you have no work whilst saying your not going to work in a call center! So I think that actually it comes down to how much you like it here. I would sweep the streets to stay here until I found something better!

I just think that these posts can really put people off coming out here, when they really shouldn't. If you are prepared to work hard, you're fine.

Obviously it would be nice to find a 'perfect' job in your chosen proffession as soon as you get here. But, really, if you want a job you can get one. It depends how much you want to stay out here. You said yourself you have chosen not to do certain jobs (call center work etc.), but why not do that until you find something you really want?

People say it's luck, who you know and being in the right place at the right time, but it's not! It's how much you want to stay in the country. I have been here only five weeks, in a hostel, and have seen two types of people........those willing to work and those who don't! I was getting cash work after a week, the girl I came here with had a bar job, a cleaning job and a nanny job within two weeks. Another mate who came out with us didn't find his dream job straight away, turned down '****ty' days work here and there, whilst complaining he can't find work, and went home.

All I'm saying is that work is easy to find, if your prepared to do something that isn't your ideal job. Nothing to do with luck. You can't complain you have no work whilst saying your not going to work in a call center! So I think that actually it comes down to how much you like it here. I would sweep the streets to stay here until I found something better!

I just think that these posts can really put people off coming out here, when they really shouldn't. If you are prepared to work hard, you're fine.

Sorry, but I haven't actually turned down any jobs. There's absolutely nothing wrong in working in a call centre! I've done many jobs that a lot of people wouldnt choose to do including working on the bins, and doing 12 hour night shifts in a plastic factory, so please, I'm not above doing anything.

Ah, I've just realised this may not have been directed to me lol

Archived