Review of Melbourne hostels

Guest AnubisUK

Guest AnubisUK

Thought I'd start a thread reviewing Melbourne hostels and people can add to it as they see fit :) Of course, things may change from the time of writing to when people arrive!

YHA Metro, North Melbourne

This is a really nice hostel, with good facillities. As always seems to be the case with hostels, the kitchen isn't really big enough for the hostel, but its always very clean. The washing facilities are pretty good too with each floor having showers and toilets. They have a lot of stuff going on through the week like cheese and wine on the rooftop, which has a lovely view of Melbourne! What I would say is that it's a bit out of the way and has no bar, so it's not the best place to live if you plan to go clubbing at night as it's a right trek to get back there! But as a place to stay, it's really good. The rooms themselves are really nice too - good solid beds and you get a nice big locker for your luggage but need to bring your own padlock.

All Nations, Spencer Street

This is a really good hostel closer to the centre that's great for meeting people as it has a bar underneath. The kitchen is TINY though and cooking can be a right pain in the ass. If I was you, I'd ask for a room on the top floor as it's much quiter up there (from the noise below I mean) but you can get down to the bar nice and easy. It's also the cheapest place I've stayed yet and you get free pasta and rice to use for dinner! The rooms are pretty good too, although they have wooden floors so beware anyone walking in at night with heavy footwear waking you up!! The bar also shows lots of sport and the drinks are pretty cheap :)

Nomads, A'Beckett Street

I'm in this one at the moment and I like this one too (its the same company as All Nations)! It is a lot smaller than the other two and you can tell straight away, but it's got a very lively bar downstairs for a good night :) They also have a tv that shows some games as well. The room is good but the beds are REEEEEEEEEEEALLY creaky and just like the All Nations, the pillow you get is almost non-existent, it's so thin! But if you can beef it up with a jumper it's all good :)

As with all hostels though, who you are in the room with is far more important than the hostel itself!

Hope that's been of some help :)

Guest AnubisUK

Travelling alone, which is why I put so much stock in whether or not a hostel has things to do where you can meet other people :)

The YHA Metro is good for that because of their activities. The Nomads places, not as much, because even though they have a bar, I find it difficult to foist myself onto people, whereas with an activity I find it much easier to do :)