Citizenship by Descent

Guest Chrissy

Guest Chrissy

Hi, can anyone help me?

My father was born in 1941 in the UK to a Aus citizen (by birth 1913). I have looked on immi website and it seems that he is elligble for Aus citizenship by descent. Have I got my facts right?

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I've just started on this forum so don't take this as gospel, however i believe your statement is true provided your fathers parent was still an Australian citizen at the time of his birth.

I am currently going through this process. The one stumbling block was checking if my mother had applied before my birth for UK citizenship, she had not so i can go ahead with my claim. However i now have to get a AFP police check for the 4 weeks i spent on holiday in Oz 7 years ago. I warn you its like one giant puzzle, in order to move a step forward sometimes you have to make several side steps first. Good luck.

Yes, you are right, He will need his birth certificate and also the parent who was born in Australia's FULL birth certificate, if you don't have this then you can apply for it online. If he is applying from the UK he will need to do it through the Australian Visa Office in the UK. All details here.........

Street Address Australia House

Strand London

WC2B 4LA

United Kingdom

Note: Courier deliveries are not accepted at Australia House. They may only be sent to the courier address below.

See: Courier DeliveriesPostal Address Migration Branch

As above

Important information on mailing or couriering to the embassy is available.

See: Visa Information > Special Procedures Courier AddressAustralian High Commission

Attention – Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Suite 100

43 Bedford Street

WC2E 9HA

United KingdomTelephoneTelephone enquiries

See: Telephone Contacts for EuropeFax +44 207465 8218 (Visa office) Email For all enquiries use the feedback form for the Europe Service Centre.

See: Australian Immigration Enquiry form for EuropeWebsiteAustralian High Commission United KingdomClient Counter Hours 9 am to 11 am, Monday to Friday (except public holidays) by appointment only.

Note: You are advised to phone or email the Europe Service Centre to make an appointment. Client Telephone Hours 9 am to 4 pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays). Public holidays Our office will be closed on public holidays. Dates of closure are available.

See: Public Holidays