General advice on the todo list, please?

sunniecat

Hey everyone,

We got our visas approved a couple of weeks ago and so I'm working out what we need to get going on... my todo list is feeling incredibly short, so - what else do people reckon I need to have started thinking about?

- flights: booked! (feb 11th to Sydney, then we'll drive down to Canberra a couple of days later)

- looking into somewhere to stay short-term when we arrive in Canberra, then we can try and sort out longer term rentals when we're there

- have sent off initial emails to shipping companies (thanks for various advice elsewhere in the forums!), need to sort through what we're taking before I go any further with those though

- trying to find as many contacts out in Canberra as possible via friends and family!

- we don't have a house to sell, we're renting, so that's just a question of giving notice at the appropriate time

- we'll sell the car, and buy one out there, researching that atm.

we don't have kids, so we don't have to sort out schools etc.

I suppose maybe I need to add things like informing doctor/dentist, getting medical notes, sorting out post forwarding nearer the time, along with jobhunting nearer the time...

Can anyone else add to the list of things we really ought to be thinking about already?

Don't forget to inform the tax office that you are leaving the country (you will be due tax back for the portion of the year prior to you leaving (check out the HMRC web site for info. Open a bank account here in Oz prior to your move ( NAB is a decent one although you will find they all rip you off here).

Good luck with the move.

Archived