Need Help: Moving to Melbourne in December, 2011

Guest sandeep

Hello All,

I am very new to this forum and the reason I am here is because I am relocating to Melbourne.

I am a banking Consultant and have got a new Job in Melbourne. My employer has sponsored my 457 application. I am very newly married. I have some questions, and If someone can answer them, It will be really helpful for me:

1). What is the average cost of renting a house in a apartment with good security, close to city( My office is in Queen Street) ? I will be okie with a 1 or 2 BHK house with fuly furnished facilities.

2). Can we get International TV Channels in Melbourne and if yes, What is the procedure and charges for them? Apart from this,

3). I am also planning to rent a car. Can anyone tell me what is the average rent for a decent car( does not have to be an SUV or a BENZ ! ).

4). We are currently moving on a 457 VISA and plan to apply for a PR. If anyone has done it in the past, please provide me any suggestions or recommendations to hire a immigration consultant.

Your answers to the above quesstions will really help me in planning ahead for the move.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum, sorry I missed your post earlier.

1) It really does depend on what you want you can get something for $200 per week or go right up to $1200 per week. I would say on a long term rental you would be looking at averaging around $500. If you are looking at a short term temp rental with utilities included then you could be looking from $800 - $3500 per week.

2) Yes it is possible BUT if you are in an apartment you may struggle to get permission for the satellite dish required. I'm not sure if anyone knows of other ways.

3)To be honest to rent a car long term is going to cost you a fortune, probably around $300 per week

If you are living in the CBD you shouldn't need a car as the public transport is great.

However, what I would recommend is the Flexi rent system which is like a car share, so you sign up and then just take the car for an hour etc whenever you need it. http://www.flexicar.com.au

4) Sorry it isn't the route we took and even if it was my information would be out of date by now. For a good migration agent look at Alan Collett who is in Melbourne or Raul (username ABA)

Good luck with the move and I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Kate

• 8 months later...
Guest deepakkrkanodia

hi sandeep

this is deepak kanodia from kanpur. i read ur post. i am planning to migrate to australia with my wife on pr visa.

plz tell me how to go about it and who are the best consultants according to you

my email id is given below

plz give ur contact no if you could help me out

regards

deepak kanodia

Hello All,

I am very new to this forum and the reason I am here is because I am relocating to Melbourne.

I am a banking Consultant and have got a new Job in Melbourne. My employer has sponsored my 457 application. I am very newly married. I have some questions, and If someone can answer them, It will be really helpful for me:

1). What is the average cost of renting a house in a apartment with good security, close to city( My office is in Queen Street) ? I will be okie with a 1 or 2 BHK house with fuly furnished facilities.

2). Can we get International TV Channels in Melbourne and if yes, What is the procedure and charges for them? Apart from this,

3). I am also planning to rent a car. Can anyone tell me what is the average rent for a decent car( does not have to be an SUV or a BENZ ! ).

4). We are currently moving on a 457 VISA and plan to apply for a PR. If anyone has done it in the past, please provide me any suggestions or recommendations to hire a immigration consultant.

Your answers to the above quesstions will really help me in planning ahead for the move.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by The Pom Queen
Removed personal info

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Deepak, unfortunately Sandeep hasn't been back on the forum since last September

You could try making a post in the migration section with any questions and we will try and help