Do we need a credit reference?

Guest The Cutches

Guest The Cutches

Hi, in the monthly Oz mag that we buy, the 'to do' list states that credit references should be obtained before moving. I have just phoned our Mortgage lender and they charge over £75 for one. Just wondered if anyone here had credit references etc... and could advise us whether it is worth having and whether we really do need one or not.

:unsure:

Many Thanks

Guest Colin R

Hi there moved to Tassie July 06 visa submitted Jan 06 . We didnt need a credit reference and had not been asked for one in Tasmania. We had opened bank account prior to moving over. And have also been given a credit card. So not sure if it is a new thing or not certainly have not heard about it as a requirement over here

Guest Susie_x_Chris

We have thought about this too, given we will need to rent and may want to prove our previous credit history we will take a copy of our credit report just in case.

You can actually do it for free so why wouldn't you - if you never use it what was the harm?

Check out Martin Lewis's website for more info - Your Credit Rating: How it works and how to improve it...

Guest brownfamily

Hi,

We moved over four months ago and initially went into a rental. Along with a load of other documents we did give a copy of our credit references to the rental agent. As has been said previously, it was free and I think definately helped.

Heather

Guest Colin R

I agree with all the comments . If in doubt get one. Better to be safe than sorry. We bought a house straight away so didnt have to rent so I dont know if it would be needed.

Sally

x

Guest PaulnLisa

Hiya I wrote to my bank and requested one, after them sending one letter and phoning me twice to confirm just what I wanted, I still didn't get one!! So we came without it but didn't matter as we havn't been asked for one. For the rental we provided a copy of bank statement, showing what was in it and also showed direct debits for utilitie bills, also gave them copies of last phone bill, mobile,electricity,gas and council tax basically anything I could grab that showed we had paid our bills.

Lisa x

You need 100 points to secure a rental,if you can provide your old rates bill,a few utility bills,copy of birth certs,passports and visa,bank statement,driving licence and a couple of character references as Lisa says you will be fine.We have never been asked about our credit rating for anything as you start at the bottom here anyway.

Cal x

Guest THE JONEZYS

We secured a rental, bought 2 cars bought a block of land and have had a mortgage approved..............all without any credit references!!

Save your money..............you will need as much as poss' once you get here.

Lesley

I am pleased that I happened to see this forum site. I would have never thought about a credit reference or the implications if you don't have one. Even though my move to oz could be 2yrs away.

Can I just say Jo that I was really moved by your diary blog and needed a pkt of tissues. It must have been the hardest part of your full application, highs and the lowest low! We are so pleased that your dreams came true for you:spinny:

Can anybody recomend a really informative ozy magazine to subscribe too?

Thanks,

Adele + Kelsey Fairhed

Guest The Cutches

Thanks everyone, looks like you've saved me a few squids, now I can afford to get my roots done...weyhey!:spinny:

Archived