Employer sponsored visas

Guest orlaandjoe

Guest orlaandjoe

Hey!

I have a phone interview for a job in a hospital in western Australia in the morning (eeeep!). I have been told the employer is willing to offer sponsorship to successful candidates. As it is a full time permanent position I'm hoping that the sponsorship will be for permanent residency (I'll be able to find out for definate tomorrow). Just wondering if anyone has any experience in getting a 121 employer sponsored visa, timescales, cost, etc.. Or if I was going down the 457 route what are the main downsides to this temporary visa? Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Guest mackemsok

My hubby got a 457 with University of WA it was only a 2 yr visa. Problem with 457 is you cannot get credit for anything as our visa was so short, he took this to his HR dept and within 3 months they put us in for 846 employer sponsor PR. We got it really quick so was able to get a mortgage etc (we have just moved into our own built home). Advantage of getting 457 you are here in no time so would I change it for us, no. Once he got the job offer we were here within 3 months, so that was a real benefit to us.

Good luck in whatever you do - which hospital is it?

Sharon

Guest mikewheble
Hey!

I have a phone interview for a job in a hospital in western Australia in the morning (eeeep!). I have been told the employer is willing to offer sponsorship to successful candidates. As it is a full time permanent position I'm hoping that the sponsorship will be for permanent residency (I'll be able to find out for definate tomorrow). Just wondering if anyone has any experience in getting a 121 employer sponsored visa, timescales, cost, etc.. Or if I was going down the 457 route what are the main downsides to this temporary visa? Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi,

I am being sponsored by an Australian employer and the cost is (from memory) circa $500 for the nomination (that's the bit that employer does) and $1900 for the visa application. The timescales are being quoted as 5 - 7 months and so a 457 is quicker however, it has a downside...I guess the biggest one for me (and why I didn't want to go down the 457 route) is that if you leave the employer/they stop trading, you have 28 days to find a new employer or your out. I guess if you are looking at large institutions then this wouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mike

Guest orlaandjoe

Hi Mike and Sharon

Thank you very much for your replies! Had my interview there and got offered the job with 457 visa..I'm just delighted and really excited about everything!:)

Guest MontyClaude

Congrats on your job offer you must be thrilled. We were on a 457 a few years ago and I had no issues with it. We did come back and finish our qualifications then got 175 but it's a great way to see if you want to stay in Oz and as others have said is the quickest route. Congrats again :)

We're going out on our second 457 visas soon, and this time will be applying to PR straight away (our sponsor has said they will sponsor our PR too). So many companies are not willing to wait for you to apply for PR outside Australia, they would rather get you there and working on a 457 and then help you get PR.

Hi all,

Sorry to jump in, but need some help!!! finding all confusing!!. My wifes job is on the sponsorship list for Canberra, but this is going to cost us 5k and she wouldnt have a job guaranteed at that!. How do you go about finding employers willing to sponsor you, is it as easy as just applying to compaines and mentioning that you are on the list for sponsorship and go from there??, finding it difficult to get any answers really from the bureau

:arghh:

Cheers

Mike

Guest orlaandjoe

Thanks everyone for all the advice!

Mike, I was going down the state sponsorship route too but had a look at job advertisements and got chatting to a lovely guy in a medical recruitment company who lined up this interview for me. It can be a good thing to send out some CVs and see what sort of response you get! Best of luck with everything!

Hey jtrd, sorry for being a bit thick..(as usual!!) but whats LAFHA??,

Orlaandjoe, thanks for the advice. I have tried to apply for a few jobs and been knocked back, but i guess that because im not on the shortage list?..need to pressure the missus to get act together and get some CV's out there!!! Hope you get yours sorted soon!

Guest mikewheble
We're going out on our second 457 visas soon, and this time will be applying to PR straight away (our sponsor has said they will sponsor our PR too). So many companies are not willing to wait for you to apply for PR outside Australia, they would rather get you there and working on a 457 and then help you get PR.

Hi Fourcorners,

I am going out on my regional 475 (not to be mixed up with 457) and then an employer offered 121 PR straight away. This is the best option for us although the employer is having to wait a bit longer for me to join them.

Heading to Toronto on 10th Sept and then one week after stright to Sydney. My 121 hasn't been granted yet and so when it does, I'll have to leave Oz for a few days...great excuse to visit NZ :biggrin:

Regards

Mike

Archived