WHV (417) getting sponsored (457) need a little help

Guest mcanfor

Guest mcanfor

I apologise in advance if this is a commonly asked question, but I went through a few pages and couldnt find somebody in the exact same situation as myself.

I have a bit of a dilemma.

I am currently on a subclass 417 (working holiday visa - 1st year) nearly 8 months in. My current place of employment wants to sponsor me but my job role doesn't fall under an category in the Skills Job List on the immigration website. I work in an admin type role for the fire brigade.

I am definately wanting to stay for a 2nd year BUT I have to make the decision to do regional work as I need to start ASAP if I want to do my 88 days. My question is really... What are the chances of getting sponsored in my current job role, not being classed as "skilled"?

What I am worried about is I get all the paperwork together applying, taking a month to process, getting rejected and then not leaving enough time to do my regional work (back to ol' blighty I go :( )

Thanks in advance

Matt

Where are you living? does the job you are doing require any qualifications? The regional visa doesn't have as many restrictions on it wrt to occupation, might be worth a try?

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/rsms/

Also had a look at the 457 occupation list, and it does include "emergency services worker". Not sure whether you could be classed under this category?

Guest mcanfor

Hi RockDr, thanks for the reply.

I live in Melbourne, I have a computing degree which is some-what related to my job role. I work a lot in SAP (90% of my time) which is a Business Management Solution software. It's an admin role within the Fire Brigade so I don't think i'll qualify as a "emergency services worker", I guess thats more suited to firefighters, policemen etc.

I'm just wondering how strict they are on the 457 job list, i don't want to waste my time applying if there is no chance of getting approved.

Guest mcanfor

OK thanks RockDr, can you recommend anybody I can chat to over the phone? OR point me in the right direction via a website or something? (sorry for the hassle, new to this whole immigration lark)

• 10 months later...
Guest AndyK

Hi Matt,

I am in almost the exact same situation and was wondering did you reach a solution?

regards,

andy

Archived