Help - where to live

Guest MADTOM

Guest MADTOM

Please help :cry:, we recently moved from Adelaide to Melbourne and have 3 weeks left of our temporary accommodation to find our dream rental.

With 2 young kids, no car I am finding it really difficult to look around for houses esp as viewings all seem to be at rush hour time! Have been to several which all seem great on Domain but tatty and not right when we get there.

Can anyone suggest some places. OH works in Docklands and wants no more than an hour door to door (pref. by public transport but will drive) Mordiallac seems nice and is within the hour (by train) The East seems nice but not very good value for money. St Kilda was good but expensive as was Williamstown. Eltham was just a bit too isolated.I don't drive so want a place with reasonable facilities, good transport links, good schools, family friendly, big garden and not too cityish but not isolated either.. :biggrin:Preferably near the beach as we like the sea but green is nice too.

Oh and Is it me or is the transport system really UN family friendly here. All the trams I have seen are not suitable for pushchairs and drop people off in the middle of the road so they have to dodge their way through cars at traffic lights, though have not yet been on a bus or train yet!

Difficult one, depends on your budget really. If you are not driving then I would opt for a suburb on a train line as easier with prams etc.

Have a look at the Metlink site it will give you the train lines, and the suburbs along them.

Personally I like to live out of the city so I opt for places like Cheltenham which is a good place to live if you use the train as the express trains stop there. Also Moorabbin as they stop there. The closer in you live to the city the less you need your own transport.

Not having a car in Melbourne is difficult unless you live right in the city areas where transport is much quicker.

Good luck

Archived