If you want hints & tips yell out!!

Guest Littlelass

Guest Littlelass

As people have been so friendly and helpful to myself, thought I would try and be as helpful back!!!

I work in the real estate industry so if anyone has any questions regarding renting / buying etc in Perth then feel free to yell out no matter how stupid it may seem and I will try my best to give you some honest helpful tips or answers.

(and no, I am not looking for business :biglaugh:, I am just trying to be helpful as I know how stressful it can be trying to find a rental etc).

Guest Crosby Family
As people have been so friendly and helpful to myself, thought I would try and be as helpful back!!!

I work in the real estate industry so if anyone has any questions regarding renting / buying etc in Perth then feel free to yell out no matter how stupid it may seem and I will try my best to give you some honest helpful tips or answers.

(and no, I am not looking for business :biglaugh:, I am just trying to be helpful as I know how stressful it can be trying to find a rental etc).

Hi We are moving over on the 6 of october, we have a short term rental in Quinns Rock, but would like our long term to be Ocean Reef or surounding areas, hopefull we will be able to get our 12 yr old son a place in Prendiville Catholic School so we dont want a long commute for him to School.

Where would you suggest ? modern style home with a pool if possible , dont need to be near the beach if we have a pool, 4 bedrooms also.any info you have would be great.

Also whats the best way to secure a rental

Thanks

Muriel

Guest DanielleDixon

Hi there, We will be moving out to Perth in 2 months time. We will be looking to start renting a house with a pool in the Tapping/Ashby area, or a sub very close by. After looking on the interent im finding it quite hard to find any, will it be any easier once im actually out there ?

Hi there, We will be moving out to Perth in 2 months time. We will be looking to start renting a house with a pool in the Tapping/Ashby area, or a sub very close by. After looking on the interent im finding it quite hard to find any, will it be any easier once im actually out there ?

Can't speak for Perth specifically but once you're there you can register with real estate agents and they may well have properties for let that never make it onto the internet as they go straight away. But if an agent has your details you may get a call when something new comes up.

Also, I would never consider renting a place for anything more than short term without actually viewing it in person. You can't tell from a picture online whether it's in a nice area, what's around, noisy neighbours, building site next door etc. Would also be surprised if any landlord was prepared to take a tenant like that.

Guest myboysjam

We are moving to Perth, my oh is a joiner and we have been advised that north is best job wise. Can you rec good areas, reasonable rental prices, we have 2 boys 7 and 3 so good schools is a must. Also, how difficult is it to get a rental? Any advice appreciated xx

Hi We are moving over on the 6 of october, we have a short term rental in Quinns Rock, but would like our long term to be Ocean Reef or surounding areas, hopefull we will be able to get our 12 yr old son a place in Prendiville Catholic School so we dont want a long commute for him to School.

Where would you suggest ? modern style home with a pool if possible , dont need to be near the beach if we have a pool, 4 bedrooms also.any info you have would be great.

Thanks

Muriel

you also need to check the bus routes for eg living in clarkson and commuting to oceanreef for prinderville is ten mins or so in the car , bus routes etc are a totally diiferent thing first a bus from where you are in clarkson to the train station , then train to joondalup then wait for a bus to oceanreef with coonections and waiting for buses etc roughly an hour and a half ,

if you were in mullaloo you could get a direct bus along marmion ave it wouldnt be a problem

Guest Littlelass

Thanks

Muriel

Hi Muriel,

2 main websites that rentals get advertised are http://www.reiwa.com.au & http://www.realestate.com.au

I don;t know a great deal on the northern suburbs as I have mainly worked southern suburbs so hopefully others on here can give you some pointers on that one including shops, schools, transport etc.

With regards to rentals I found not a great deal have pools as landlords tend to stay clear of investments with pools as they can sometimes turn into a headache, but in saying that there are some around. Just remember though you will be responsible for maintaining the pool so will extra cost factor involved regarding chemicals and higher power bill as pump will need to be running at times.

Some rentals with a pool will include 'pool maintenance' which means your rent may be slightly higher but this will cover someone coming out and maintaining the pool for you - cleaning it, balancing chemicals etc, but not all of them include this.

I have found it is usually easier to secure a long-term rental once you are here. The key is in the application form and viewing the home.

You will need to view (or have someone on your behalf) the property usually at a designated time unless they will make an appointment time for you.

Fill out the application as neatly as possible and complete fully and make sure you have copies of the following to attach

ID (passport, drivers licence etc)

Bank Statement

Mortgage statement if you have one from UK

Couple of paid utility bills

Couple of written references confirming you are a respectable, responsible clean & tidy person

Couple of payslips and a letter confirming employment if working in Oz.

Attend the viewing dressed neatly (not in your finest party dress, but not in your gardening rags either :biglaugh: and no matter how stinking hot the weather is make sure you have shoes on your feet and if you have children they are acting like angels, cause nothing gets you remembered more than your children running up and down hallways screaming while running their sticky hands along cream walls and slamming doors.............believe me it DOES happen, I have seen it!!!

Be polite and have a SMALL chit chat with the agent, but do not plead your case with them or stand and tell them what fantastic tenants you would make, usually they are on a tight time frame and have heard it all before and lastly do not pester or ring them a million times to find out about your application, give it a few days and if you have not had a response send a polite email or a quick phone call. I have been a property manager in the past so these are my inside 'tips'!!!

Only apply for one rental at a time and sometimes you may find there are 10 people viewing, sometimes 20 and sometimes 2!!! Don't be put off though as sometimes people see another 10 people there and think it's not worth applying but everyone says the same thing so no applications get put in!!

Hope this helps, any further questions just ask!

Guest Littlelass

Yes, other places to look are Gumtree (http://www.gumtree.com.au) and also the weekend newspaper, Saturday's The West Australian.

It depends on supply and demand with regards to rentals, some areas have lots of rentals and other areas not as many. It may be worthwhile having a look at some of the surrounding suburbs.

Pools can be hard to find sometimes in rentals as landlords sometimes see them as a headache so there is not as much available with pools compared to homes with no pools.

Guest Littlelass
Can't speak for Perth specifically but once you're there you can register with real estate agents and they may well have properties for let that never make it onto the internet as they go straight away. But if an agent has your details you may get a call when something new comes up.

Speaking from experience in Perth, to be honest you can try and leave your details with an agent but I wouldn't count on it. They get so many enquiries from people looking for rentals and the turnover can be quite high they don't tend to keep a record. You may strike it lucky by contacting them and a rental MAY have just become available so you will find out about it there any then, but if you send them your details and ask to be contacted when any rentals become available in a specific area it does not always happen as your name and number will just the list of the other 100's who have done so and usually they just tell you to keep checking the websites.

Guest Littlelass
We are moving to Perth, my oh is a joiner and we have been advised that north is best job wise. Can you rec good areas, reasonable rental prices, we have 2 boys 7 and 3 so good schools is a must. Also, how difficult is it to get a rental? Any advice appreciated xx

Hi,

I replied to another post so hopefully that will cover some rental advice for you.

I mainly worked southern suburbs so hopefully someone can point you in the right direction with some northern suburb advice.

It is not that difficult to obtain a rental, but it is not easy as 1-2-3 either. It comes down to a little patience, organisation and filling out the paperwork neatly.

Reasonable prices will depend on style, size and condition of the house.

Hope this help!!

Guest Littlelass
You say you need a couple of payslips/confirmation of employment? We will be arriving October and have no jobs, will this be an issue or will paying months up front cover this?

Payslips / confirmation of employment are not essential, just handy to include. I would include a simple letter with your application stating you have just recently moved and are currently in the process of seeking employment. I would also state in the letter that you are happy to pay a couple of months rent upfront and include a copy of a bank statement showing you have a reasonable amount of funds in the pot!!

The 2 main things they look for in applications are a). you have the means and are capable of paying the rent and b). you will look after the property and keep it clean.

Hope this helps!