confused.... RRV

dinkydoo

Have read some posts about the return resident visa and am slightly confused....

When do you have to apply for a RRV?

Do you have to have one if you are just going on holiday outside of Oz?

I thought that once you had PR you could come and go in and out of Australia????

Thank you

You original PR visa is valid for entry into Australia for five years. Were you to move immediately you would be able to become a citizen after four years i.e. before the PR visa expires.

Were you not to become a citizen before the PR visa expires, you need to get an RRV (ideally before you leave Australia) so that you can get back in. To get an RRV you need to show a continuing relationship with Australia i.e. you have moved there and made it your home.

Your PR visa allows multiple entries in and out of Australia for five years.

After that initial five years:

If you are in Australia and want to stay, you can live there as a permanent resident for the rest of your life without needing another visa, but you would not be able to get back into the country if you left for whatever reason. That is what the RRV is for. it gives you another five years of multiple entry so you can travel in and out at your leisure.

If you want to live in australia with the ability to travel in and out at your leisure for the rest of your life, you can either apply for citizenship once you are eligible, or you have to apply for an RRV every five years.

As Peach said, to get an RRV, you have to have moved there and made it your home (general rule of thumb is if you've lived there for two out of the last 5 yrs, then you're ok. Special circumstances can sometimes be taken into account if you've not got that five years).

Archived