taking the car back?

soapyjo

we moved back to the uk almost 5 years ago and brought our 4 wheeled drive back with us .We are now moving back to Brisbane at the end of the year and would like to take our 4 wheel drive back with us again ,anyone done this before or does any one have any idea on the costs .I believe its slightly different cos the car was purchased in aus.Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Soapjo

The best person to chat with would be Iron Chef, he is great with matters like this. Hopefully he will see your post.

Kate

Thanks for the PM Kate, I wouldn't have spotted it otherwise!

Good news soapyjoe - presuming you haven't removed your Australian compliance plate or made any big modifications to the car while you're in the UK, you can bring it back in and put it on the road pretty much as is. As far as the local registration authority will be concerned, it will be like you just let the registration lapse and decided to renew it again. (If you're changing states, you'll probably need an ID check to make sure it's still on the national database).

As far as duties go, you will find that the car itself is actually exempt from GST (not sure on the Customs Duty, but I'm pretty sure it's exempt too). You will still pay duty and GST on the shipping costs and for any modifications you've made to the vehicle while it has been overseas - I suspect in your case they'll just ask you for a statutory declaration saying the vehicle hasn't been modified since it left Australia.

Archived