Contract work (mainly IT in Melbourne)

buckbuchanan

Hi folks

I'm thinking of becoming a contractor when I move to Melbourne, and I was wondering if anyone out there had any advice for me. I have never done contract work so I don't even know where to begin.

I am a C# Software Developer - is this a skill that is in demand for contracting. How do I deal with tax, pension, etc. Do I need to be registered as self employed? Will I be able to get a mortgage?

As you can see, any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest MERVBENG

I work for SMS Consulting, they have a contracting division which will be able to advise you. If you can send me your CV and estimated arrival date in Melbourne I can review and send it onto one of my contacts their. If she is interested in your skills she will get in touch with you and give you all the advice you need obviously hoping to secure you!

Contracting definately has its upsides - flex and money and downsides - I had to let 4 staff go from my project this week and the contractors were the first to go unfortunately. They are on 20 days notice however and there is so much work here at the moment. C # - lots of demand

Guest dannyboy

Hi ya,

I've been out in melbourne for around 2 weeks now and have been speaking to lots of contacts in IT that I've made from the UK. From a contract point of view, it seems to be a employee market. Try Hudson's, Accel and CCS - all have websites and can direct you with how the market is...

Hope this helps.

Dan

Archived