Audio Production

AaronS

So my wife is the one getting us to Oz...young, educated and experienced (not to mention smoking hot :biggrin:)....but I'll need to work as well. I've got more years than I'd like to admit in the Audio Production field...in fact I have my own business and have enough gear to support 2000 attendance festivals (all at 110V unfortunately). I manly work music events with rock, metal and country bands. It's looking like we have a strong chance of landing in Sydney. Was wondering if there were any other audio type people here that could give any insite on the scene for that type of work in the area. I know that's probably a long shot but figured I'd ask.

So my wife is the one getting us to Oz...young, educated and experienced (not to mention smoking hot :biggrin:)....but I'll need to work as well. I've got more years than I'd like to admit in the Audio Production field...in fact I have my own business and have enough gear to support 2000 attendance festivals (all at 110V unfortunately). I manly work music events with rock, metal and country bands. It's looking like we have a strong chance of landing in Sydney. Was wondering if there were any other audio type people here that could give any insite on the scene for that type of work in the area. I know that's probably a long shot but figured I'd ask.

Hey mate,

Sorry not into the Audio production biz, but just so someone replies to your thread, I'm a radio presenter, and know a little about Radio Audio production and commercial production.

Sorry I can't be more help, I'm not in Oz yet, but just didn't want this to be a lonely thread! Good luck with everything you do.

Anna.

Guest Stereotongue

Hi Aaron,

I'm in the audio business I guess.

I am a technical manager at a venue and freelance audio engineer here in the UK. I have just been offered a job in Sydney and am thinking of making the move.

Not much help to you and your question, but thought I would just let you know you are not the only noise boy here :)

Hi Aaron,

I'm in the audio business I guess.

I am a technical manager at a venue and freelance audio engineer here in the UK. I have just been offered a job in Sydney and am thinking of making the move.

Not much help to you and your question, but thought I would just let you know you are not the only noise boy here :)

Awesome! I'm a man in a van type set up. Outdoor festivals are my primary jobs. I did have a nice run at a local music Television station for a couple of years. Worked with some farily big names here in the States (Willie Nelson, Joe Ely, Ian Moore, Ian McLagan to name a few). I'm trying to decide if it will be worth it to ship my set up over...at least the pieces that will work on 220V.

Best of luck on your job offer! If it all works out for the both of us maybe we can have a pint together someday.

Guest Stereotongue

Hi Aaron,

Well I am going to take the job ! Yay. I need to be in Sydney next February.

Lots to sort out now... Seems very daunting.

Definately be good to meet up for a pint. The job I will be doing is mainly corporate stuff and I have a feeling I will miss the rock'n'roll side quite a bit. Be good to share stories over a beer.

Take care

Andrew

Hi Aaron,

Well I am going to take the job ! Yay. I need to be in Sydney next February.

Lots to sort out now... Seems very daunting.

Definately be good to meet up for a pint. The job I will be doing is mainly corporate stuff and I have a feeling I will miss the rock'n'roll side quite a bit. Be good to share stories over a beer.

Take care

Andrew

Oh, I've got some stories! I've run two venues for SXSW here in Austin for the past 4 years and the stories from that would fill an ocean!

Congrats on the job! If all goes well we'll be in Sydney by October....hoping all goes well!

I worked in audio back in the UK but managed to take early retirement a bit before emigrating so haven't had the pressure of needing to find work.

However, the impression I have is that there is a fairly active music/recording scene down here. I'm up in Queensland in a small city but, even so, found I was being offered occasional freelance mixing shifts at the local theatre (and it helps keep me in wine!). I also brought some of my home studio kit (DM1000, selection of mics, stands, cables, etc.) and do a bit of recording of local bands, vocalists, schools, etc., again to augment the pension while the exchange rate is so bad.

Sydney (and Melbourne) certainly seem to be the major cities for the audio industry (and broadcasting of course) so there is definitely work there. I've "met" a few people through online forums and such and they seem to keep busy.

One thing I'll suggest is that you bring any gear you can with you. I don't subscribe to the "Austalia is expensive" brigade for most things, but for pro level sound gear it certainly is. I bought a new Profire Lightbridge down here and was shocked at how much more it cost here than in the UK--microphones and monitor speakers seem to be equally expensive. Funnily, Yamaha digital mixers don't seem much different.

Good luck with the move.

Thanks for the tip on gear Bobbsy. I'll definitely bring my mics and DIs. Probably any electronic gear that will run at 220v as well.

I'll have to get a 220 to 110 convert for a couple pieces I won't leave behind as well. I've got a Matchless DC-30 and a vintage 1965 Fender Black Face Deluxe that I won't be able to part with (I also play music and those amps are my babies)

Archived