Student Visa and Investing ?

J&T

Have searched for the answer to this on PIO and the FIRB website but cannot find a straight answer.

If you are on a student visa is there anything stopping you from buying a business or being self employed by investing in a business or setting up a new business?

I can see that you can only wortk for 20hrs per week but cannot see if that is for someone else or working for your self.

Regards

Jon.

Erm im not 100% sure but I believe the 20 hrs work week is for everyone whether ur self emplyed or not. Due to the work limitation being set so each student has enough time to concentrate on their studies rather then work. I was on a student visa for 2 yrs while i studied and i know from my experience and my friends who have been on this visa and ones that are currently on student visa's that the government doesnt take kindly to a breach of the 20 hrs a week work agreement. Hope this helps.

Guest Laura G
Have searched for the answer to this on PIO and the FIRB website but cannot find a straight answer.

If you are on a student visa is there anything stopping you from buying a business or being self employed by investing in a business or setting up a new business?

I can see that you can only wortk for 20hrs per week but cannot see if that is for someone else or working for your self.

Regards

Jon.

Hi,

You can purchase a business or start a business whilst you are in Australia on a Student Visa. You will need to apply for the relevant Tax File Numbers or consult an Accountant who can assist in setting up your legal responsibilities.

However the work restrictions will still be in force, if your Partner will be running the business they will be restricted to 20 hours per week condition at all times and for yourself you are restricted to 20 hours per week during course time and unlimited during course breaks.

Although you are the holder of a temporary visa, if you are living in Australia on a full time basis, for tax purposes you can be considered a resident.

Archived