Looking for a lively Co ed. Northern Beaches?

Guest Transcend

Guest Transcend

After the exhaustion of completely redecorating our house (nearly finished!) in the last 6 weeks and sorting out 20 odd years of stuff, we are now trying to establish where a good place to live would be a what would be the right Co Ed school to send our creative and outgoing kiddiwinks to!:spinny: 9 weeks to go!

The children are aged 15 13 & 10 and are all on the bright and arty side. Having gone through our finances with a fine tooth comb, reckon we will be able to pay $700-800pw rent. (Keeping aside sufficient money for a good Sauvignon Blanc of course!) :wacko:

I've researched Davidson High School, Frenchs Forrest (as they take part in the Rock Challenge which the older 2 girls do in UK....wonderfully contraversial too, as i found an article about their performance this August depicting President Bush as a fighter plane pilot and addressing the war in Iraq.....just 2 days after George Bush arrived in Oz for a visit! We do like a bit of political backbone and freedom of expression!).

It was interesting to find that people travel from all over to see the residents Xmas lights in Davidson.....however, not sure i want to do all that having just arrived! (Expecting to come end of Nov) Also found it a bit weird that 82% of the residents of Davidson or Frenchs Forrest (can't remember which it was) send their kids out of the area to private schools! Hmmmm.... should i deduce that the people of that area are a little snooty or is it something else? Also a bit concerned how bushy it is round Davidson....thinking forrest fires here....don't want to wake up dead do we? :no:Can anyone enlighten us of what life is like in this area?

Have also looked at Killara High, Kai-Ring-Gai. YOu have to live in Gordon, Killara, Lindfield or Roseville to get into this school. Looks good but area seems a little pricey. Again, does anyone know what it's like to live there?

Have also looked at Turramurra High, Ku-ring-gai. Looks like a lively, smiley co-ed, with an informative website, which is what we want, but again, does anyone know the reality of the place?

I now have a big fat folder of crime statistics and socio econimic listings to help with the decision making, however, as a real life human, realise that this really doesn't give the full picture!

We really want to land in the right place and not have to keep moving around so all help and local first hand knowledge of life and schooling in Northern Beaches suburbs is most welcome!!! (Or anywhere else of natural beauty where OH can commute easily to Ryde for his new job).

Thank yooooooooooooo!

:jiggy:

Katherine (& Geoff)

X

Hi

We live in Elanora Heights on the Northern Beaches, part of PIttwater Council. I have heard people speak highly of Davidson High and Killara High, I have friends with children at both. Our friends at Killara High live in Lindfield and yes pricey, but its the same here. Davisdon High family live in Terry Hills. But for $650 wk you can get a family home with pool in this area anyway. Drakes Real estate agency in Narrabeen are quite a big rental agency I believe.

Lindfield etc is better for commuting into the city as are on train line and city bus lines. But we all commute from here also into the city, N Syndey or Ryde way along Mona Vale Rd. Up this part we have park and ride and you can leave your car down on Pittwater Rd. This neck of the woods is very bush and can be quite rural in Terry Hills and Ingelside yet just 3 odd km to the ocean. Davidson is a bit of a dead end and eg you might find it a deal getting a taxi out there.

There are bush fire dangers and you live with those. You are wise to do things like have gutter guard installed, supposed to keep valuables in a fire proof safe, have a hose to hand just in case and the bush fire agencies are a hugely dedicated bunch of people who try and stay abreast of things.

I think there is a certain snobbery about private education here. Here on the beaches the various High Schools are banding together and pooling and strengthening resources to show that public can be better or as good as private. Our High Schools here are Narrabeen Sports High, Pittwater High and Barrenjoey High. There are also options like Manly Selective if your children pass the academic tests and for girls - an option that we were looking at - Mackellar Girls High in Manly Vale. Very arty, very girl power, often oversubscribed but they do their best to accommodate you being the only all girls school state in the north I believe. Good Luck and any more local please ask

Guest Transcend

Thanks Alison! Great to hear from you....and recieve all your local info!

Do you live near bush where you are? I'm not sure how much i should be avoiding being to close to it.....but i really don't want to have a fire problem!

Good to hear that Killara & Davidson are well reputed. Have you always lived in Northern Beaches? I'm guessing you'd say it's a good place to live yes?

I'm trying to get the girls (15 & 13) to take a good look at the school websites so we can decide where to look to live. Your info will prove mighty helpful i'm sure....and i'll get right back to you if/when i have more questions.

Thanks agian.....Katherine X

Archived