Canberra Arrival Report 9 days in...

Guest journeydownunder

Guest destinationoz

Hi

Can you tell us what your job is and how you went about securing employment before you got there. Thanks Judith. i bet you are really excited now - we are flying 21st november with 4 days in singapore. will cATCH UP WITH YOU when we get there x

Hi Judith - we are now here and loving it but exceptionally busy trying to sort everything ...

In a nutshell - I prepared my CV based on Aus guidelines - its 4 pages and basically outlines my past jobs and achievements in those jobs not just what my role was ....

I then signed on to SEEK.com under my choice of jobs (community type field with NGO and Gov depts) - I then applied for anything remotely suitable - this entailed sending my CV and then writing a "Supporting" type statement - basically writing a paragraph or 3 on each of the person spec criteria showing the experience and skills I had in each area to do the job ...

Not sure if that helps but it seemed to work ... I applied for 6 jobs, didn't hear from the first 2, the third one said they needed someone sooner than I was getting there but to apply for others in future and was offered the following 3 ... I was interviewed for all of these over the phone or on Sykpe at 7am....

Interviews on the phone are not as daunting as it may first seem - they are actually better than face to face!!

One thing I did do was start applying early (atleast 4 - 5 months BEFORe arrival date) to get my name and CV out there ... I think its worth doing that and just accept that you may not hear anything from many of them initially ... I was lucky than 3 jobs that suited my CV/skills and experience well in that time ...

Hope that helps - GOOD LUCK!!

It would be great to catch up here!!

TIDBINBILLA PiO Meet Up - SUNDAY 25th SEPTEMBER .... (brought forward from 2nd Oct) ... can you make it??

Cal

Guest ruthybear

TIDBINBILLA PiO Meet Up - SUNDAY 25th SEPTEMBER .... (brought forward from 2nd Oct) ... can you make it??

Cal

Hi Cal

is it ok to bring the family or is this for the member only????

Thanks, Ruth

Guest destinationoz

Never been to one either! I'm guessing yourselves and a picnic - don't know if they do barbq at Tidbinbilla so hopefully someone else will reply too!! Look forward to meeting you!

Archived