Shippers - estimators, what do you think?

Hi all

We just had the packers in - an exhausting experience but the guys who came were very good. HOWEVER, just a word to you all about estimates. To be honest we didn't really take a lot of notice of the precise figure of cubic feet. It doesn't really mean a lot to the average person. We just focused on the overall container we were getting. All three companies who quoted for us said the same - cars and goods in a 40ft high cube. We didn't actually choose the cheapest quote, though we did haggle on price. It turns out that you need to pay attention to the cubic feet quoted. The company we chose actually quoted far far less on cubic feet than the other two (760 cubic feet). It turned out we had nearer 1200 cubic feet which, now we look back, the other companies did estimate. So, on day two of the pack, the shipping company was ringing us up telling us we might incur extra charges for packing materials and additional lorry runs, storage in their warehouse and time of the packers!!! We were quoted two days to pack and move and that's what it took so we're definitely not paying on that score.

Just wanted to warn people to look at all the detail and compare and wondered if anyone has had similar experiences. All thoughts welcome! Keep it clean and don't slag the companies off, particularly the packers who worked like trojans - it's not their fault, they can only work with what the estimators provide. Talking to them, it seems that the estimators really do need to be former packers so that's definitely a question to ask - a lesson learned for us, though we hope not to be doing it again!

Hi Thistleand Rose,

Thank you very much for this information. I've just started on the road of getting the surveys and quotes from the removal companies. I've had one so far -got the rest booked over the next two weeks. I do wonder how he managed to calculate how much cubic ft we'd need when he just glanced at the kitchen cupboards and furniture. He didn't look in any draws. The only thing i thick he measured was the telly and I could have told him it was a 46inch sreen! :confused:

Also the quote I've had through doesn't have an inventory attached to it which I thought it would do. Did your quotes have the inventory attached to them? I thought they would provide this so i could check all the major items are included and the number of boxes and then I would be able to compare why the estimates are different.

I am concerned about making sure the quote is a true reflection of the amount we have to ship as we're on a tight budget and don't want any suprises when it comes to moving day.

Anyway, I'm sure your busy but if you could PM me with the companies you got quotes from and which ones you used I'd be very grateful.

Thank you

Hev

Hi there Hev

I will certainly PM you tmrw or over weekend.. Nearly asleep now - trying to stay up so can ring Oz about something!

I don't remember any of our estimators looking in any cupboards. . . we did get inventories and they did vary, although all the major articles were always covered but often the estimates get into "remover language" and when they start talking about certain sizes of boxes for clothes etc we just found it meant nothing and we just went with the overall picture.

700 cubic feet - what does it actually mean...? They are just blinding you with science. Make them work - keep at them and keep emailing or ringing till you get the answers. We thought we had but even then there were things we could clearly have done better!

Happy to help

TNR

Archived