New points test, shed some light!!!

Guest JulianP

Guest JulianP

Hi all,

I take it there are loads of you out there who have been eagerly awaiting the new points test and like me, wants to know weather or not we still qualify. So....... heres my first question! Am I correct in saying that we can no longer claim points for an AQF certificate achieved offshore through previous work experience. Only AQF's achieved through FULL TIME STUDY IN Australia is now valid under the new points test????

Would love to hear from anyone who has checked the new points test and still confused and has some feedback.

Julian

Guest siamsusie

Hi Julian,

Just giving your post a wee bump up for you.

Hopefully someone will reply shortly.

Good luck and best wishes

Susie x

Hi all,

I take it there are loads of you out there who have been eagerly awaiting the new points test and like me, wants to know weather or not we still qualify. So....... heres my first question! Am I correct in saying that we can no longer claim points for an AQF certificate achieved offshore through previous work experience. Only AQF's achieved through FULL TIME STUDY IN Australia is now valid under the new points test????

Would love to hear from anyone who has checked the new points test and still confused and has some feedback.

Julian

It would appear that if your trade assessing body recognises it then you will get the 10 points. Maybe contact the assessing body for clarification.

Justin :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Justin,

Just wondering were you saw that if your AQF was accepted by the assessing body you got the 10 points. My husband is a stonemason and had no trade papers so we had to get AQF. The TRA approved us in May, we need state sponsorship to make up the points. We thought that after 1st July we couldn't use his AQF...

We would be delighted if this wasn't the case. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Regards,

Fiona

Guest JulianP

Hi Fiona,

I have been in contact with quite a few migration agents who all say the same. Don't worry its good news!!! The "proposal" was to allow only AQF's which were achieved either by full time study or training WITHIN Australia, but when the actual amendments to the points test came out the immigration dept in Oz dropped that criteria and said that all AQF's will still be accepted! So if you husband was assessed by TRA like I was then its all systems go!! Good luck, if theres anything else you need help with just asked as my wife and I are in the process of applying for SS to Canberra as well and any help we can give or receive will be welcomed.

Julian

Hi Fiona,

I see Julian beat me to it ! I second his post and maybe he can help more than me as an AQF is not something I had to deal with. The SS is fairly simple so don't worry and good luck with the rest of your application.

Justin

Thanks Guys,

Thats great news we were trying to get in before the points changed as we weren't too sure whether our AQF would be accepted. So all systems go...I will start the process of SS with canberra today.

So you are applying to canberra too Julian, Do you know how much funds you need to have for SS in Canberra? Any info we get and if we can help in any way we'd be delighted too, just pm us.

Thanks again off to tell hubbie now as we thought we'd have to try and get employer sponsorship.

Great start to the day Oz back on track.

Regards,

Fiona

Archived