Licenced Aircraft engineer - or not

Guest pabloke99

Guest pabloke99

I've had some IM answers to this already (very grateful for those), but thought I'd throw it open to a broader forum. I am applying for TRA as an un-licenced aircraft engineering supervisor (mechanical), after 22 years service. It is not on the MODL list and I only have experience on military aircraft. I have the vocational and academic quals (GCGI & HNC) but no civilian licences. Anyone in this, or similar, situation been knocked back?

All advice/experiences gratefully accepted.

Paul

Hiya Paul, I'm in a similar position to you but i've only got 10 years military service, I'm an avionics cpl techie, may I suggest if possible that you apply for your specific trade rather than aircraft engineer, I applied for aircraft maintenance enginner (avionics) and the TRA were more than happy with all my RAF qualifications and work experience. It may help to use an agent. Good luck.

Paul

Guest Impatient

Paul

I would agree with other Paul,it is about what you apply for rather than what you believe you are. You must get on the MODL list if you can so see if you can use the aircraft maintenance engineer (mech) title that is on the list rather than push for your supervisory status to be recognised as a 'Professional' hence formally qualified Engineer. Also would help to have a job offer in your position.

Mate (ahem!) told me that the military, especially technical trades, find it fairly easy to get in. Best of luck

Imp

Guest pabloke99

I've been advised that because I've not worked 'hands on' since before Artificer training ten years ago, I no longer qualify as an aircraft technician (mechanical) which is on the MODL list. I do have an agent on the case and I'm fairly confident. But like you, I'm impatient too!

I've been advised that because I've not worked 'hands on' since before Artificer training ten years ago, I no longer qualify as an aircraft technician (mechanical) which is on the MODL list. I do have an agent on the case and I'm fairly confident. But like you, I'm impatient too!

:GEEK:Sounds a bit obvious, but I don't suppose you'd actually consider joining up with Aussie Military?

My OH was in Military trade and has gained tra for what he trained & was qualified in, meant staying in that role a bit longer. However, (virtually within same time frame) he also had mate/s who have since transfered/joined up in Ozzie Forces & are VERY happy they did. Mine is out a while now, & didn't want to stay in, but for others, this could be a valid consideration?

Cheers :radar:

Herbster

Guest Impatient
....because I've not worked 'hands on' since before Artificer training ten years ago....,

Again,I would think this depends upon how you write yourself up. In your senior supervisory role I am sure you have been with aircraft and could adapt your experiences to reflect this (unless of course you have been stuck somewhere in an office for a few years...)

Guest pabloke99
:GEEK:Sounds a bit obvious, but I don't suppose you'd actually consider joining up with Aussie Military?

My OH was in Military trade and has gained tra for what he trained & was qualified in, meant staying in that role a bit longer. However, (virtually within same time frame) he also had mate/s who have since transfered/joined up in Ozzie Forces & are VERY happy they did. Mine is out a while now, & didn't want to stay in, but for others, this could be a valid consideration?

Cheers :radar:

Herbster

Thanks, but I've just wasted 11 months going down that route. I now have 12 months left in the mob in which to secure my future down under.

Guest pabloke99
Again,I would think this depends upon how you write yourself up. In your senior supervisory role I am sure you have been with aircraft and could adapt your experiences to reflect this (unless of course you have been stuck somewhere in an office for a few years...)

You're right of course, a little bit of 'creative writing' may be called for, but I wouldn't want to jeapordise my chances by making false claims; not when there's no need to.

Sorry about that Paul .... I thought it was a good way in? (If you want to keep pension, etc..)

Have you a dependable Senior officer that will write you a decent reference balanced toward your trade? What about contacting BAE in Adelaide, or others, although I notice many defense jobs need you to be a citizen. :cry:

Would you be able to go back to trade for a year to qualify, but if your trade isn't on MODL... :sad:Have you contacted an agent, we were in similar position which is why we spent the money on one.

Keep persevering & Good Luck.

:wacko:

Herbster

Guest pabloke99
Sorry about that Paul .... I thought it was a good way in? (If you want to keep pension, etc..)

Have you a dependable Senior officer that will write you a decent reference balanced toward your trade? What about contacting BAE in Adelaide, or others, although I notice many defense jobs need you to be a citizen. :cry:

Would you be able to go back to trade for a year to qualify, but if your trade isn't on MODL... :sad:Have you contacted an agent, we were in similar position which is why we spent the money on one.

Keep persevering & Good Luck.

:wacko:

Herbster

You're right it is an excellent way in, plus they pay for the whole process. But alas...

Getting the points isn't a problem either as my wife's uncle is sponsoring us, so I can happily apply as a supervisor (it'll take longer as it's not MODL). My real concern was whether I'd pass TRA without civil aircraft licences, and I must admit that most of the responses are quite positive. Thanks to all of you

Paul

My real concern was whether I'd pass TRA without civil aircraft licences, and I must admit that most of the responses are quite positive. Thanks to all of you

Paul

I worked at technical supervisory on power plants (civil mainly, no licence) when I applied for my TRA (10-12 yrs ago). I did it myself (no agent) the case officer advised me to put emphasis on the fact that I had to be a tradesman first & foremost to do my job & was trouble shooting the harder trade/technical issues for tradesmen and it was a daily part of the job. It worked for me? I remember having to down play the technical qualifications to avoid being mis-labelled a para-professional.

More recently I passed this advice to someone who had been knocked back on their TRA (he was a supervisor also), he was able to sort it out on appeal somehow.

Good luck

Guest pabloke99
I worked at technical supervisory on power plants (civil mainly, no licence) when I applied for my TRA (10-12 yrs ago). I did it myself (no agent) the case officer advised me to put emphasis on the fact that I had to be a tradesman first & foremost to do my job & was trouble shooting the harder trade/technical issues for tradesmen and it was a daily part of the job. It worked for me? I remember having to down play the technical qualifications to avoid being mis-labelled a para-professional.

More recently I passed this advice to someone who had been knocked back on their TRA (he was a supervisor also), he was able to sort it out on appeal somehow.

Good luck

Good advice, thanks. I figured on playing it along those lines.

Archived