Autistic Children

Guest George

Guest George

Hello,

We have some friends that are considering a move to Aus, they have two children aged 10 and 11 who both have moderate forms of autism. Does anyone have any experience with how this would affect their chances of a Visa application? Experiences of the level of support they might receive in Aus?

The breadwinner is on the MODL.

Any help/views/experiences much appreciated.

George

Hello,

We have some friends that are considering a move to Aus, they have two children aged 10 and 11 who both have moderate forms of autism. Does anyone have any experience with how this would affect their chances of a Visa application? Experiences of the level of support they might receive in Aus?

George

Not sure about the medicals but they only seem interested in illnesses that will cost Australia money in the long term so you should be OK. Where we are there is very good support for all kinds of learning difficulties but this seems to be down to the schools and some very good paediatricians so other areas may be different.

Research where you are going to live well and you should be fine. Contact schools and have an idea of where you want them to go before you get there as that will make the biggest difference. I have a dyslexic child and one who has been diagnosed dyspraxic since we have been here (6 months) and cannot complain at all. Our children's school is very helpful and although we don't expect to qualify for extra help in class other children do so it is out there.

Good luck.

Nicky

Guest MattandSarah

Why not contact one of the following: (I work for the National Autistic Society in the UK)

New South Wales

Autism Spectrum Australia (Aspect)

41 Cook Street, (PO Box 361),

Forestville, NSW 2087, Australia

Tel: +61 (0)2 8977 8300

FREECALL 1800 06 99 78

Fax: +61 (0)2 8977 8399

Email: contact@autismnsw.com.au

19/04/05

Queensland

Autism Association Queensland

P.O. Box 363, 437 Hellawell Road

Sunnybank Hills, Queensland 4109

Australia

Tel: +61 (0)7 3273 0000

Fax: +61 (0)7 3273 8306

Email: tonic@autismqld.asn.au

27/05/05

South Australia

Autism of South Australia

Street address: 3 Fisher Street

Myrtle Bank SA 5064

Postal address: PO Box 339

Fullarton SA 5063

Tel: +61 (0) 88 379 6976

Fax: +61 (0) 88 338 1216

Email: admin@autismsa.org.au

9/06/05

Tasmania

Autism Tasmania

PO Box 1552, Launceston

TAS 7250, Australia

Tel: +61 (0)3 63 443 261

Email: autism@autismtas.org.uk

05/03/02

Victoria

Autism Victoria

Postal address: P.O. Box 235, Ashburton

Victoria 3147, Australia

Street address: 35 High Street, Glen Iris

Victoria 3146, Australia

Tel: +61 (0)3 9885 0533

Fax: +61 (0)3 9885 0508

Email: autismav@vicnet.net.au

27/05/05

Western Australia

Autism Association of Western Australia

Postal address: Locked Bag 9, Post Office

West Perth, WA 6872, Australia

Street address: 37 Hay Street

Subiaco 6008, Australia

Tel: +61 (08) 9489 98900

Fax: +61 (08) 9489 8999

Email: autismwa@autism.org.au

• 9 months later...
Hello,

George

Hi

Sorry this is going to be somewhat negative.

I don't have any experience with applying for visas with Autistic children but I have lived in Brisbane with an autistic son.

We left because of the lack of assistance with autistic children in education. The maximum one one one help we could get (or anyone for that matter) in the classroom is 20 minutes a day. My son (born in Australia) now gets three hours every day here in the UK. Inclusion in main stream classrooms became a torture for him without the one on one. We even applied to autism Queensland to visit the school to offer skilled advice to the teachers and headmaster. The school flatley refused. I'm sure we were unlucky, but how unlucky who knows.

Queensland Education do not provide a lot of assistance and from what I found out while I was living there (17 years) the other states did not offer anything better.

I imagine there are some schools that would provide better help than the school my child attended. I would avoid large city schools as the teachers don't get much of a chance to get to know the children.

Maybe check out schools who have had experience in dealing with special needs children.

Having said all this I would still like to return to Australia as there are many positive points about the country.

Please if you do go let us know how it worked out and where you moved. We would be very interested in hearing form you.

All the very best of luck

Archived