spiders!!

Guest Emiloo

Guest Emiloo

Hi there

Hubbys just put in for skilled visa and we are off ASAP yippy!!

Only thing is SPIDERS !!!! yep i know but the thought of it sends me running for the red wine ,,,

Are there some places better than others on the ole spider front??

Guest bethandneil

:roll:

hi there

we too have started the visa application process (yippy also), we have not long returned from oz for a fact finding trip, we went to queensland and although there are supposed to be lots of critters there we didnt see any in 5 weeks!! however on returning to the uk i have done extensive research into spids and have found there to be four main spids to be wary of. Perth only has one, the redback (oz wide) where as nsw and queensland appear to have all four, including the funnell web!!, not sure about melbourne as we have no intention of going there due to the extremes of weather. Hope this helps and good luck witht he visa

Beth.

Guest Emiloo

Thanks Beth

Was it your 1st time to OZ?? we havent been yet and we really need to go b4 we leave,but with 4 kids i know its going to bedlam, plus we really dont know where to start?

its crazy how we can fall in love with the idea of moving somewhere yet we havent even been there yet,

But i keep thinking to my self many a good brit has done it before us

can you give me any ideas where to start?

Guest ABCDiamond
Hi there

Hubbys just put in for skilled visa and we are off ASAP yippy!!

Only thing is SPIDERS !!!! yep i know but the thought of it sends me running for the red wine ,,,

Are there some places better than others on the ole spider front??

Best places to find spiders are in areas where there is lots of bushland.

Most houses will have the odd spider, but many people have an annual pest spray done in their houses, which includes the outside wall area. Cost about $160-200.

We have lived in normal suburb areas, and we see very few spiders, a bit like "bethandneil" in their 5 weeks, except I have lived in Australia for a total of 15 years now :) 12 years in Sydney and just over 3 years in QLD.

But when I do see a spider, I run a mile, and get the spray :D Then wait for my wife to come home to clear it up ;)

Guest Emiloo

thanks for your help ,i know ill get used to it ,

Its just going to be hard at first,i can imagine me walking round ten oclock at night with a can of spray checking my bed over for any of the little critters

And thats just me ,i hate to think how the kids are going to be ,My son goes in to a blind panic at the sight of a wasp :?

Our 5 yr old daughter thinks every living insect in the garden is going to eat her :(

And we have an 11yr daughter that will scream as loud as a fog horn if a bee flys in a 1 mile radius of her head :shock:

But lets look on the bright side ,at least our kids wont go looking for the ole red backs !!!! :?

Guest Emiloo

So would QLD be a good place to start ?

Im sure my husband can get work pretty much anywhere,and that will be sorted before we leave.

Hes a graphic designer,and has contacts in OZ

But OZ is such a big place and we need to come over and have a look around first ,but with 4 kids its not going to be easy,

Prob just get a car and drive round for 4 weeks , :lol: ,

As a beach bum i must admit i really do need to be near the ocean ,

and near some where our daughter can scuba dive a few times a week .

Any ideas?? 8)

Guest Emiloo

So would QLD be a good place to start ?

Im sure my husband can get work pretty much anywhere,and that will be sorted before we leave.

Hes a graphic designer,and has contacts in OZ

But OZ is such a big place and we need to come over and have a look around first ,but with 4 kids its not going to be easy,

Prob just get a car and drive round for 4 weeks , :lol: ,

As a beach bum i must admit i really do need to be near the ocean ,

and near some where our daughter can scuba dive a few times a week .

Any ideas?? 8)

Guest bethandneil

hi beth here again

well, we went in january when my daughter was seven months and my son was just turned three, only two children i know but the prospect was daunting, however in reality it was a dream, i would advise that you stop over for a least one night mid way, we stopped off in Kuala Lumpur in the hotel in the airport, ab fab, although they forgot to give us our wake up call and we nearly missed our connecting flight, but thats a whole other story!!!

On wether to go or not, we went because we couldnt decide on oz or new zealand, in reality nz was possibly one of the worse countries i have ever been to, the nz people are rude and unhelpful and have ruined nz with graffiti, we flew back to oz early and it was like flying home!!

on hindsight we spent about £6-7,000 so rather an expensive way of finding out that everyone was telling us the truth and that oz is as fantastic as they say, so we have applied for our visas and cant wait to get back. At the end of the day if you go without a trip first and you dont like it you can always come back to the uk,

but i doubt you would.

Beth.

Guest Emiloo

Hi Beth

so glad you said that because i was kinda thinking of NZ too ,but scrap that idea ha ha

I know ill love OZ but its just the knowing where to start :shock:

we need a total life change ,im watching the life drain out of my husband as he works himself in to the ground! yep he has a good job ,so wot

he needs quality of life ,going to work when its dark,coming home when its dark,missing the kids grow up,

we are in our early 30s and are still young enough to start all over again ,and thats wot we will do ,

I know we need to go over and have a look but the school will fine us if we take our 15 and 11 yr old daughters out of school,and the telling off i got from the youngest 2s school for taking them to St Lucia at crimbo was just stupid ,

Wot has this place come too ,,still dont care im off 8)

Guest bethandneil

hi beth here again!! nz really had nothing to offer us, it is not particularly child/family orientated, but some people love it, i'm not sure why, i really couldnt tell you anything that there is to love, although the scenery was spectacular.

Oz however also has spectacular scenery, the lifestyle sounds exactly what your looking for, nobody want or expects you to work daft hours, everything is geared around families and relaxing, somewhat of a problem when you get there, leaving alot of family behind i imagine!! the biggest surprise to us on our first day there was when our children got up at 4.30am and when we opened the doors was greated with lots of people jogging past, sailing(we stayed on the banks of a creek)and generally enjoying themselves at about 5am!! people seem to get up and enjoy the day, go to work early but finish early and meet at the beach!! sounds too good to be true but that was what it was like everywhere.

When you get out there your husband will look back and the only regret i imagine you will have is, like us, that we didnt do it earlier

We too are in our VERY early thirties (ha ha) and are looking forward to taking the equity that is in our house and sticking two fingers up to Blairs Britain, happy in the knowledge that they are not getting a penny!!

Beth.

Guest Emiloo

Beth you sound so much like me ha ha

We too cant wait to take our money and run :lol:

Life is so short ,and although many people love the uk and would quite happily grow old and look foward to drawing their pension, and sitting in front of an open fire and watch doom and gloom on the TV ,im sorry to say that this is not on my lifes agenda,

No thank you ,youll find me on the beach catching the rays , 8)

A little thing to think about, i found out the other day from our GP that the government are no longer going to give our kids the TB jab [like we had at school]

They feel its no longer necessary !!!

uummm With TB on the up ,and all sorts coming into the UK through the tunnel this little snippet left me scratching my head ,

:?

Guest bethandneil

hi emiloo

as a nurse working in blairs nhs, believe me the lack of tb jabs is the tip of the iceberg, there is no way i am raising my two children in a country that allocates more money and resources to benefit seeking foreigners than to the children of the country, oz is a refreshing change where you see where you taxes go and they invest in the people that pay them, only fools will stay in the uk and work to pay for the millions of scroungers, oz

here we come and not a moment too soon!!!!

Beth.

Guest Emiloo

Beth you are so right ,

my hubby and i have worked since the day we left education , we have had some really hard times ,and sometimes had to do a weeks shopping on next to nothing, we have had to juggle work ,kids,work ,kids etc etc

But unfortunately people like us are constantly penalized for being hard workers and there has been times when i have looked at the scroungers having their rent paid ,and being given 3 bed semis and food vouchers and it has made my blood boil :x

But now i just laugh ,you see the chavs/foreigners can keep their free houses and food vouchers and all their foul mouths

Because i got myself an education/a good job/my own home and that gave me choices,

And i can pick and choose ,what and where i want to bring up my babies

and i choose Australia

8)

Guest bethandneil

hi

could not have put it better myself, we shall wave with satisfaction at all the chav towers we fly over on the way to oz!!! not a penny more will you get out of us!!

Beth.

Guest bethandneil

emiloo

by the way if your looking at going to brisbane area there is a fantastic web site with loads of info on everything from property to statistics on different suburbs, its called http://www.ourbrisbane.com very informative!! it also has a web cam looking out onto the river.

Beth.

Guest Beki

It's really sad in a way that the grafters of this country, the country that our Grandfathers probably fought for are being driven out. :(

Hey ho, I'd rather be in the sun anyway, and one of the things my Nana said to me before she died was, "I wish I'd seen more of the world, you take every opportunity you get in life Beki". So Australia here I come :D

Hiya guys ,,

I was beggining to think i was the only thinking this way ,,i too under no uncertain terms want my kids (2 & 7) to grow up here ,, and with too many reasons to list i just say fingers crossed and good luck to all of us,,We visited Brisbane in March and found it to be great for the kids ,its very child friendly with loads of parks & free BBQ's ,,a good book to get is the WHERE TO LIVE guide for GREATER BRISBANE it lists all the different suburbs and breaks down the popularity of the areas into %,single parents ,parents with kids,working proffesionals,retirees etc,etc,,we found this an excellent way of narrowing down the areas we fancied.i ordered it on-line & it was here in a couple of days ,its full of articles & tips comes highly recommended and becomes a saviour when your boggleyed with the net ,,

Take care

Cal x

Guest bethandneil

Beth here

thanx for that i will definately get it.

For all of us grafters leaving this sinking ship, the future looks bright,and thanx tony blair, without your ridiculous policies and hideous stance on asylum seekers, or benefit seekers as we call them, i probably would have stayed in this god forsaken hole, as it is we ozzy bound, yippy,

sunshine here we come!!!!

Archived